What's new

Some of the carriers jumped at the perfect time

ardchoille

Reaction score
Some of the carriers jumped at the perfect time. Let me explain.

Apple recently implemented an anti-theft mechanism whereby the Find My iPad/iPhone setting must be turned off by the original Apple ID owner before a new owner can activate the device. Many iOS users who purchased an iOS device via a third-party are now finding that they cannot activate their new device due to this new anti-theft mechanism because the previous owner had not turned this mechanism off.

Some of the iPad/iPhone carriers have implemented new programs which allow the customer to purchase a new iPad or iPhone and pay for the device in 12 monthly installments. I have used this program at one of the carriers to purchase both my iPad 4 and iPhone 5 and the program works rather well for folks who cannot afford to pay for the device in one lump sum. I find that these programs are more cost-effective than purchasing devices from third parties.

It is my opinion that the participating carriers were somehow aware of how the new anti-theft mechanism would affect users and implemented their monthly payment programs accordingly.

If you're in the market for a new iOS device, check with your carrier to see if they offer a time plan to pay for the device. You may find one of these programs to be easier on your wallet as well as less frustrating when it comes to activating the device.