What's new

Some Newbie iPhone 5 Stuff About iPhone Wifi Backup You May Not Know

hookbill

Reaction score
Nobody explained this to me, matter of fact I think I read somewhere that there was a flaw either in IOS 6 or in iTunes that was preventing wireless sync to iTunes. This probably applies to iCloud if you use that as well.

I was wondering why my devices would sometimes stay on the screen, disappear after I unplugged them or show up all on their own. How come some days I could wirelessly sync and others I couldn't. Finally I figured some things out.

Why doesn't the iPad show up on the device column? Turn the screen on. Do you see LTE there? That's why.

But wait, you say, I have it set to wifi. True and as soon as you start to use it for something that requires wife, not necessarily a phone call it will switch right over to wifi. Why is this done? Well, according the the man himself Skull, it doesn't make sense to run two radios at one time because that would drain battery. Now that makes sense.

So when your phone goes to wifi you should be able to do a wireless sync.

If you have an iPad I've notice that it will pick up your iPad but the sync USUALLY has to be started at the computer. Not all the time, I haven't figured that one out yet.

For many of you this is nothing new but for some of the new people who just got an iPhone 5 and maybe trying to figure it out, this is just something I thought I would share.

If I figure out the iPad thing I write about that in the iPad Forum. Or unless someone wants to enlighten us all now, that would be fine with me.

So that is why you either don't see your device when it's hooked up or do see it. It's got to actually be on wifi and not "resting" on LTE.

I bring this information to you free of charge, no donations accepted. :)

Just checked the "wireless sync to iTunes", my iPhone 5 is able to Sync but it gets disconnected (Cancel) after around a minute and you have to tap "Sync Now" again..

Last edited: