What's new

So, Verizon won't let me get ip4 with early upgrade.

brock

Reaction score
Posted this rant in the new members section, but it didn't make me feel better so now i will post it here, haha.

Bought a droid the day it came out, modded the crap out of it, was a good phone but a little laggy. I actually enjoyed watching android transform into a more polished OS. But dammit, I went through 4 refurbished droids and my 4th one wont charge anymore, so its time for a new phone.

Now, I call verizon and ask them if I can get another refurb, BUT they say the phone is out of warranty. I'm nice to the customer service rep and tell him my story and ask if I can do an early upgrade, he tells me I can pay a $20 fee and get an early upgrade so I tell him I will call back when my paycheck comes through. Fast forward to tonight, I got my tax check so I can afford a new phone now, and after playing around with an ip4, I decide that the build quality is superior to any of the android phones and has a much more polished OS (but way too many damn expensive apps, lol) Well the rep tells me the ip4 is the ONLY phone I can't use an early upgrade for. WTF? Fail.

So now I am stuck with no phone. Well scratch that. My fiance's sister has an OLD ASS motorola Q I can use until July 6 when my upgrade is due. Guess I'll get the ip5. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Posted this rant in the new members section, but it didn't make me feel better so now i will post it here, haha.

Bought a droid the day it came out, modded the crap out of it, was a good phone but a little laggy. I actually enjoyed watching android transform into a more polished OS. But dammit, I went through 4 refurbished droids and my 4th one wont charge anymore, so its time for a new phone.

Now, I call verizon and ask them if I can get another refurb, BUT they say the phone is out of warranty. I'm nice to the customer service rep and tell him my story and ask if I can do an early upgrade, he tells me I can pay a $20 fee and get an early upgrade so I tell him I will call back when my paycheck comes through. Fast forward to tonight, I got my tax check so I can afford a new phone now, and after playing around with an ip4, I decide that the build quality is superior to any of the android phones and has a much more polished OS (but way too many damn expensive apps, lol) Well the rep tells me the ip4 is the ONLY phone I can't use an early upgrade for. WTF? Fail.

So now I am stuck with no phone. Well scratch that. My fiance's sister has an OLD ASS motorola Q I can use until July 6 when my upgrade is due. Guess I'll get the ip5. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Screw corporations!!! lol

But that sucks man... And now is the worst time for phone buying, except the iPhone, or I would tell you to look at some NEWER Androids, only problem is the next line hasnt come out yet :( I feel your pain man, I was in the same boat when the og Droid came out, had to wait 3 months to get it, made me sad lol

ya, i was waiting for the droid bionic, but after going through so many motorola droids i just cannot trust that build quality anymore.

ya, i was waiting for the droid bionic, but after going through so many motorola droids i just cannot trust that build quality anymore.

Good point... And I dunno about the Thunderbolt either, keeps getting delayed because of battery issues...

You should check out how much it is to cancel your line, with your tax check, might be able to bite the bullet lol

Last edited:
You know it's always worth another phone call to Verizon, explain your story again as you just did, explain how you love their service, bla, bla, if that rep says no, ask to escalate call to supervisor, because they have more power, tell them you understand you'll have to pay the $20 early upgrade fee..maybe you've been a long term customer, that always helps your case...

Someone should be able to help you, I mean you don't have a working device other than some borrowed one..

Good point... And I dunno about the Thunderbolt either, keeps getting delayed because of battery issues...

You should check out how much it is to cancel your line, with your tax check, might be able to bite the bullet lol

actually my friend is a tester and has the thunderbolt, actually pretty decent battery life.

$95 to cancel my line, and i have never been a fan of wasting money

You know it's always worth another phone call to Verizon, explain your story again as you just did, explain how you love their service, bla, bla, if that rep says no, ask to escalate call to supervisor, because they have more power, tell them you understand you'll have to pay the $20 early upgrade fee..maybe you've been a long term customer, that always helps your case...

Someone should be able to help you, I mean you don't have a working device other than some borrowed one..

ya, thats true. but i work in customer service and i hate customers that ask for my superior, haha. just wish it would have been easy.

My store always lets me upgrade early. How many months are you into your contract? You should have a 1 year upgrade eligability now.

they told me i can upgrade early, but they then asked me which phone i would like and when i said iphone they said thats the only phone they couldn't upgrade early. what gives? 5 months from my new every two.

actually my friend is a tester and has the thunderbolt, actually pretty decent battery life.

$95 to cancel my line, and i have never been a fan of wasting money

Well hopefully that means they fixed it, they have been having problems with it. I really wanna see 4G smartphones take off smoothly, 4G would be nice to have lol

i hear the delays are because of the lte network.

If you have a local corp. vzw store, go in there and talk to them. they have always bent in my favor. One time they gave me a lost/stolen early upgrade. Worth a try. Good luck. I was waiting for the Thunderbolt, but i am very very happy i went with the iphone. I was a die hard android fan too. Who da thunk.?

UPDATE: I went to the store and tried to get the early upgrade there, they told me that they can't even do early upgrades in the stores. The guy was cool and tried to talk to his manager, but no dice. So I came home and tried calling customer service and luckily got a hold of a guy who was around my age and super cool. Said he has no idea why the other customer service rep told me they couldn't give me an iphone. So now my iphone is in the mail. SWEET! Now i bet the iphone 5 will be announced in 2 weeks.

That was exactly what I was doing. With all the trouble with the thunderbolt and the idea that data will cost more for less I decided to make the move now bonly my wife's line wasn't eligible until July. Customer support via the phone said they would approve an early upgrade for her to anything but iPhone.

Anyway, we added a third line and dropped a data pack so she was able to Bettye subsidized phone and it only costs me an $10 a month. Beat part is I still have an upgrade in the bank come July when the ip5 drops. :)

UPDATE: I went to the store and tried to get the early upgrade there, they told me that they can't even do early upgrades in the stores. The guy was cool and tried to talk to his manager, but no dice. So I came home and tried calling customer service and luckily got a hold of a guy who was around my age and super cool. Said he has no idea why the other customer service rep told me they couldn't give me an iphone. So now my iphone is in the mail. SWEET! Now i bet the iphone 5 will be announced in 2 weeks.

Awesome! I knew it was worth another phone call! I never get anywhere in the actual store, but they always work with me on phone...enjoy! Your going to love it!