What's new

Help please!

Nick021

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So ok lets get down to it! so today i finally get an upgrade to a nice new phone. Ive had in the past year the droid eris from htc, and the droid 1(bought on ebay, eris was breaking down). My wife just got her upgrade from her eris to the samsung fascinate phone, which is a very nice phone with the amoled display. Now today is the day i get the upgrade of my choice. But im torn between 2 phones. The iphone 4 and the droid x. I like the bigger screen of the X, but like the smoothness and retina display of the ip4. I mean, 4.3" screen is massive, although the 3.5 is decent as well. What are the advantages of going with an apple product? what are some cool features? do they update their software? I really want to try something other than android, since thats all ive had for smartphones thus far. Everyone tells me the iphone doesnt have widgets, but honestly i could care less to be honest. I use the phone for texting, web surfing and multi tasking and just reliability. My past 2 droid phones havent been really reliable it seems, and to only be quickly outdated with the thousands of other droid phones, in a never win battle of trying to stay current with the up to date phones. I don't know much about apple, but i really like the overall design of the ip4. What are the advantages of having an iphone over a droid x? I just need some insight and help on what to choose, since im torn between both. the only thing i can saythats slightly stopping me from the iphone this far is the slightly smaller screen size, and no flash, which i guess isnt a huge deal but its just the extra touch. Someone please help ! lol. Why did you choose the ip4 over android?

Hey everyone! So ok lets get down to it! so today i finally get an upgrade to a nice new phone. Ive had in the past year the droid eris from htc, and the droid 1(bought on ebay, eris was breaking down). My wife just got her upgrade from her eris to the samsung fascinate phone, which is a very nice phone with the amoled display. Now today is the day i get the upgrade of my choice. But im torn between 2 phones. The iphone 4 and the droid x. I like the bigger screen of the X, but like the smoothness and retina display of the ip4. I mean, 4.3" screen is massive, although the 3.5 is decent as well. What are the advantages of going with an apple product? what are some cool features? do they update their software? I really want to try something other than android, since thats all ive had for smartphones thus far. Everyone tells me the iphone doesnt have widgets, but honestly i could care less to be honest. I use the phone for texting, web surfing and multi tasking and just reliability. My past 2 droid phones havent been really reliable it seems, and to only be quickly outdated with the thousands of other droid phones, in a never win battle of trying to stay current with the up to date phones. I don't know much about apple, but i really like the overall design of the ip4. What are the advantages of having an iphone over a droid x? I just need some insight and help on what to choose, since im torn between both. the only thing i can saythats slightly stopping me from the iphone this far is the slightly smaller screen size, and no flash, which i guess isnt a huge deal but its just the extra touch. Someone please help ! lol. Why did you choose the ip4 over android?
The Iphone 4 has a bright a$$ flash, don't know what your talking about there. But from what you describe it honestly sounds like the ip4 would be a good fit for you. Apple designs their products to just WORK, and that they do. But for that ability you also loose quite a bit of customization options (unless you jailbreak which i did the first day). Any phone will be outdated sooner than later, and the iphone is no exception with the ip5 on the horizon. If your looking to try something other than android, want a phone that is extremely user friendly and still has some cool features, i'd say the iphone is right up your alley

It really comes down to personal preference between the two phones. I also looked at the Droid X before purchasing my iPhone. However, like the above poster said, it sounds like for what you want, the iPhone is probably what you are looking for. Here are a few quick advantages/disadvantages between the two phones:

Screen Size

Droid X: 4.3 inches
iPhone4: 3.5 inches

The Droid X's screen is larger, however the iPhone makes up for the screen difference with it's stunning retinal display technology. This essentially gives the iPhone a significantly higher resolution that works better in sunny and bright areas, and is easier on the eyes. The touch screen is also top notch. It is very responsive and accurate. Typing on the touchscreen keyboard is a breeze.

Advantage: IPhone

Storage

Droid X: Comes with 8 GB on board storage and a 16 GB memory card. You can also purchase a 32 GB storage card bringing the total memory to 40 GB.

iPhone4: Can either purchase a 16 GB or 32 GB internal memory iPhone. There is no option to increase memory.

Overall the Droid X can has bigger storage capacity by 8 GB. That alone was not enough to sway me towards the Droid X, as my 32 GB iPhone to me has plenty of storage space for movies, songs, and pictures.

Advantage: Droid X

Applications

Droid X: Over 70,000
IPhone4: Over 200,000

More is better, right :)

Advantage: iPhone

Camera

Droid X: 8 Megapixel Rear Facing Camera
iPhone4: 5 Megapixel Rear Facing Camera AND a 2nd Front Facing Camera

The Droid X's camera may have 3 more Megapixels, but the fact that the iPhone has TWO camera's makes it the winner in this category in my book. The front facing camera allows iPhone users to do video chat (which Apple calls Face Time Technonlogy) while on a normal phone call. It's a very nice feature. Bothe the iPhone and Droid X can shoot high definition video (720p) with their rear facing cameras.

Advantage: iPhone

Random Notes:

Not being able to use the Droid X for an extended period of time, i am unsure how long the battery lasts. All i can say is on my iPhone the battery lasts longer than i expected it to. With medium usage i find myself charging the phone every 2 days or so (This would obviously change due to usage)

If you havent actually physically picked up the Droid X, i recommend you do so. The phone has a slight bump at the top of the phone, raising that top portion nearly twice as thick as the rest of the phone. It's hard to explain, but i would definitely recommend stopping at a store and playing with the Droid X to make sure it is not uncomfortable. It could be very minor to you, however i did not like the way that it felt.

IMO, the iPhone is the device to get Vs. the Droid X as I believe the iPhone is the better device. Like i mentioned earlier it really all comes down to personal preference in what you like your phone to look and feel like. I hope some of the above information helps you in your decision.

Good luck !!

You're asking an iPhone forum. I would say both phones have pros and cons. iPhone wins in the long run over all droids besides maybe the new ones launching. ;)

I had the DX since it came out... I recently got the iphone and as far as the screen on the DX yes it is large but I got sick of the basic size and battery life was just ok. But the overall size was just to large for me personally. I miss the android OS it is pretty nice but it is very glitchy.. The google navigation is awesome.. But I have a dedicated GPS so it was just a novelty.

Overall I like the iphone so far screen is awesome! size is perfect and Battery life is massive! I keep the 3G turned off and turn it on just to check email, send or receive pix message.

Camera is alot better on the iphone and the HD video blows the DX away! hands down!! (I have sample videos to prove it!)

I recommend jailbreaking it... Cydia is pretty nice!

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:
iphone 4 FTW

dx freezes up ALOT. i had 4 of em replaced in 3 months due to that very issue. i upgraded to the iphone 4 and never looked back. battery life is also marginally better too.

and if anyone says you cant replace the battery in the iphone. yes you can. it has a back cover just like any other phone. youtube/google iphone battery replacement.

just get the iphone and be happy. droid os is to unstable. crashes/freezes too much.
i used to be a iphone hater till i got one. now im a droid hater :D

I have to say I got the dx and im just not happy with the screen quality or camera quality. So in a few days( since I have 14 days to decide) I will be getting the iphone. Just feels .....right to me. The iphones screen and touch is superior. Speed is nice. I love it. What are some cool free apps you guys have?

heres some good apps. i got the griffin survivor case on it too. very protective. im a log truck driver and i have to have some rugged protection for my phone

7821a99b.jpg

Glad to hear you are making the switch to the iPhone :)

Lots of great Apps out there. The main difference you will find in Apps will be the Apps you can access if you are going to jailbreak your phone. I have not jb my phone, and here are some of the Apps I would suggest. I believe most if not all of these were FREE. Linky below.

MapQuest-Navigation. Turn by turn directions included
AroundMe-Search for Points of Interests App. Search for gas, food, hospital, grocery store whatever, all based off your location.
UrbanSpoon- Fun way to search for restaurants
Shazam- Song Identifier. Hold to speaker and the App does the rest.
Pandora-Internet Radio
Netflix- Stream movies to your iPhone
Red Laser- Barcode Scanner
ESPN Scorecenter- Keep track of your favorite teams and other sports.
Google Search- Search for anything using Voice Search or 'Google Goggles' (searches the web using pictures you took)

There are tons of great Apps out there. Have fun browsing.

Full List - 50 Best iPhone Apps 2011 - TIME

i'm going to quote you a thread started by Matth3w (one of the senior members here)
i hope it helps...

Verizon iPhone 4 vs. Motorola Droid X
I believe that I have come full circle. I absolutely hated Apple products (except for basic iPods) up until the iPad came out. I tried the iPad out in Best Buy and was amazed. Ever since, I have been on the iDevice bandwagon. I still won't use a Mac computer, but as far as the mobile devices go...

Anyhow, being that I've been an Android user for so long, I figured I'd post up a comparison between the two for those thinking of switching but might be on the fence.

Display

Hands down this goes to the iPhone 4. Yes, the screen size on the Droid X is much larger, but the quality is much better on the iPhone and that makes all the difference to me. Text, pictures, and everything is much clearer. Think about it this way: would you rather have a 55" non-HD TV or have a 46" 1080p HDTV...that's about the difference to me, and for me, I'd pic the HDTV over the non-HD any day of the week.

Keyboard

This is HUGE for me. The number one frustration I have ALWAYS had with the Android OS and even aftermarket keyboards is the phone always seems to lag because I type on it too quickly. This is NEVER the case with the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and probably the primary reason I switched.

Also, the keyboard works wonderfully. Somehow, and I can't figure out how Apple does it, but no matter how big the keyboard is on the Android, I can always type faster on an Apple keyboard. It boggles my mind.

In addition, the Apple devices NATIVELY support Arabic keyboards, something that Android devices still cannot do, last I checked. This is also a huge deal breaker for me.

App Store

As an Android user since it's inception, I can say for certain that the Apple App Store is far superior. However, it has also been around for longer so there is a possibility that the Android store will catch up some day. But for now the App Store isn't inherently better, it's just that there is a bigger market apparently so developers are most likely to develop an app for iDevices FIRST if not exclusively. I can't count how many times there was an awesome app in the app store that I waited over a year for to come to Android.

The downside is, many apps on the Apple Store are more expensive than apps on the Android Market. For example, you can get Google Sky Map for free on the Android Market, but you have to pay for some sort of equivalent on the App Store.

I still find the App Store far superior.

Navigation

Hands down, any Android device wins in this category. The iPhone has some great GPS apps available, but most of them are between 30 and 60 dollars, whereas every Android device comes with Turn by Turn Google Maps navigation...something I never felt the need to stray from. Right now I am using a cheap (or maybe it was free?) Mapquest Navigation app for the iPhone. It works decent, but it's nothing as good as Google Maps TBT that comes with Android.

Speech to Text

Nonexistent on the iPhone and Dragon Dictation is worthless, so hands down this goes to Android.

Fragility

The iPhone definitely seems less durable than my Motorola Droid X. It also looks more quality, but if you drop it, I'd say you're done for. I bought the Square Trade warranty for $99.

Widgets

Most people say that the Android has widgets and that makes it better, but frankly, most Android widgets suck and just drain the battery so I don't miss them at all. Yeah you can have the weather right on your desktop, but I can get the weather from an app in one click. If you're jailbroken you can add the weather to your lock screen anyhow.

Fluidity

I don't know how they do it, but no matter how fast of an Android phone I've had, nothing compares to the lagless nature of iOS. I've overclocked my Android phones, optimized, you name it. Still not as seamless as iOS.

Loudness

The iPhone seems to be a lot louder than my Droid X in terms of ringtones and call volume. This wasn't a deal breaker for me by any means on the Droid X but it was worth mentioning if you have that issue.

Notifications

The Android devices tend to have better notification systems. The pop ups on the Apple devices can be annoying and of course most Android phones have some sort of LED that let you know you have a notification without having to turn on the screen.

Camera

Despite the megapixel difference, I don't notice a picture quality difference. If I want to take a high quality picture, I'm not using a phone camera anyhow.

One thing I thought would be irrelevant to me would be the front facing camera. But as it turns out, having one is just awesome. I use FaceTime all the time because I live thousands of miles away from my family. Today I chatted with my cousin while she was at my grandmother's house and I was able to see them for the first time in months and I also gave them a tour of my new house. Very spiffy.

If you aren't frequently separated by distance from your family/SO this might not be a huge deal to you, but it's a pleasant surprise for me.

Email

If you have GMail, the Android phones are going to be inherently better at handling your GMail. However, I had many problems with the GMail application on my Android device, and I wasn't alone. No solution was ever really found, but sometimes at random messages would get stuck in the outbox even when on full signal with wifi. It appeared to have something to do with the way Android OS handled cache but we never really pinpointed it. It was few and far between, but it happened.

Facebook

I know some old geezers hate Facebook, but the Facebook app for the iPhone is infinitely better than the app for Android. You can tag photos, and actually get regular notifications, unlike the Android version. Why such a difference I have no idea...

Got my iPhone 4 today! I love it! So smooth no lag like the droid has. And I set up everything on the phone. Thought I would have to set up iTunes on my laptop. I love the display although the screens a bit smaller the quality is superior! It's so nice! I'm an apple fan!