What's new

So mad at Apple..

stephannie

Reaction score
long story short - IPhone4 got stolen, didn't have the locator turned on ( i didn't even know this was a feature until after the fact :| ) and I phoned apple to have the iemi and serial number listed as stolen - but first had to get to a representative...

After being on hold for 20 minutes a rep answers and asks me for my serial number and I give it to her. She then asks my name, which I give to her. She tells me that the phone is registered under a different name and asks me where I bought the phone, I tell her that my phone was stolen and that that name must be the person who stole it and re-registered it. She can clearly see that it was previously registered in my name and was switched on Friday, but won't give me any information as to who's name it is registered in or how I can go about retrieving my cell phone.

They need to make it more difficult to re-register a phone like that, especially when their policies are protecting the criminals and hurting the victims.

Sorry to hear that. However the person you should really be mad at is the one who stole it. Unfortunately if your phone was not password protected it makes it really easy for someone to just erase all data from your phone. I understand your point about making it harder for people to re register phones. However this would cause lots of frustration when a person wishes to upgrade or sell their phone. Again sorry to hear that.

where in fact did you purchase the phone from? If you have purchased it from Apple, your name should be link to the phone serial number including the date you've purchased it. The Apple representative clearly saw that your name wasn't the one linked to the phone from purchased date and i think that's the reason why she refuse to tell you the name.

Mine was stolen last week and I called AT&T and gave them my s/n and imie # and they said that (they) AT&T will NOT turn that phone on for anyone. Added a line of service and got the new 4s. I love it. Hate that I had a line to get the phone though...o well it's my fault...my responsibility..

long story short - IPhone4 got stolen, didn't have the locator turned on ( i didn't even know this was a feature until after the fact :| ) and I phoned apple to have the iemi and serial number listed as stolen - but first had to get to a representative...

After being on hold for 20 minutes a rep answers and asks me for my serial number and I give it to her. She then asks my name, which I give to her. She tells me that the phone is registered under a different name and asks me where I bought the phone, I tell her that my phone was stolen and that that name must be the person who stole it and re-registered it. She can clearly see that it was previously registered in my name and was switched on Friday, but won't give me any information as to who's name it is registered in or how I can go about retrieving my cell phone.

They need to make it more difficult to re-register a phone like that, especially when their policies are protecting the criminals and hurting the victims.
dont you have a receipt for the phone? all the details of the phone would be on there and would prove that you bought it.

stephannie said:

Where do you see or get the serial number. I'm not sure I know mine or even where to locate it of mine gets stolen?

Settings-General-About

I record mine in 1password which is synced to iPad, iPhone and Mac

I am confused - why did you call Apple?? If my phone was stolen I would call my carrier to shut it off and not re-register it. Sorry about your loss!

Mine was stolen last week and I called AT&T and gave them my s/n and imie # and they said that (they) AT&T will NOT turn that phone on for anyone. Added a line of service and got the new 4s. I love it. Hate that I had a line to get the phone though...o well it's my fault...my responsibility..

added a new line for a 4s? so ur paying extra $10 for the line and $15 - $30 for data PER MONTH?

Yes but what I did was get another non-smartphone off Craigslist for $10 and give AT&T the imie# and they took the data plan off...so I'm really just paying another $10 a month. And changed my plan to a family talk plan. Still have my original unlimited data plan...

Yes but what I did was get another non-smartphone off Craigslist for $10 and give AT&T the imie# and they took the data plan off...so I'm really just paying another $10 a month. And changed my plan to a family talk plan. Still have my original unlimited data plan...

Work the system....:)