What's new

Can an iPhone identify what you have called a contact in your phone?

Yellowmoon

Reaction score
I am hoping that someone can put my mind at ease and assist if possible.

I have recently been talking to an ex and she sent me a text message last night. I replied but realised that at the time of the breakup I had changed her contact details in my phone to a nasty name. My phone is a Nokia (waiting for the iPhone5!) and hers is a Iphone4.

By way of example:

1. I had changed her contact name in my Nokia phone earlier to a not so nice name
2. She sent me a text message from her iPhone
3. I replied with a text message from my Nokia

My question is, can an iPhone detect what I have saved her contact details as in my phone?

Happy to clarify further. Thanks in advance for your help

All messages that I receive on my iPhone 4s are shown as I have them listed in MY address book. If they aren't in my address book, just the phone number shows up. I cannot see how others have me listed.

I am hoping that someone can put my mind at ease and assist if possible.

I have recently been talking to an ex and she sent me a text message last night. I replied but realised that at the time of the breakup I had changed her contact details in my phone to a nasty name. My phone is a Nokia (waiting for the iPhone5!) and hers is a Iphone4.

By way of example:

1. I had changed her contact name in my Nokia phone earlier to a not so nice name
2. She sent me a text message from her iPhone
3. I replied with a text message from my Nokia

My question is, can an iPhone detect what I have saved her contact details as in my phone?

Happy to clarify further. Thanks in advance for your help
don't get what's your worries... You have a contact saved under the name of XYZ into your nokia, you making phone calls, sms all the time with XYZ, so in your nokia phone under the XYZ contact are some phone calls and sms activities going. Now say your XYZ contact real name is Izaora, after you receive your new iPhone, you transfer all your contacts, sms and others from your nokia to your new iPhone, into your new iPhone Izaora will still be listed as XYZ in your contact book and under XYZ contact will be listed some phone calls and sms activities. It doesn't matter if XYZ (Izaora) saved your real name into her iPhone, your iPhone will still listed her as XYZ just like it used to be on your nokia phone. So again what are you concern about?

To answer your question shortly and to the point, No, SMS doesn't carry any data from your contacts, it sends just your phone number as the identifying information.

Be careful of emails though.. A friend of mine who I am in business with got a email from a ex that I was cc''d in because the ex was part of the business. Had him in her contacts as The Asshole. It came right up next to his name in the email I could see so could he. Me and my friend have Macs.. The email from the ex sent from a PC or a Android phone.

i install security systems, you can add the user names it then shows on the screen as "welcome John" or whoever.

One clients son had watched intently as i showed how to enter new users and enter/alter the names. i thought thats handy as kids are quick to learn this.

few days later i get a call saying when the client uses his code the screen shows "welcome a***hole".

apparently the lad has been grounded and got his revenge this way lol!