What's new

SMS Questions

CXXXV

Reaction score
1 - How can I change the thread style. Can't stand the bubbles. Want just a regular style SMS screen.
2 - How do I insert smileys in a text message.

1) You can't.

2) Activate the Emoji keyboard under International Keyboard in settings.

This is gettting annoying. There are so many things on this phone that one can't do.

CXXXV said:
This is gettting annoying. There are so many things on this phone that one can't do.

I highly recommend you switch to Android then. iOS is about stability and never missing a call or text. Apple doesn't care about personalization which can cause system instability.

Skull One said:
I highly recommend you switch to Android then. iOS is about stability and never missing a call or text. Apple doesn't care about personalization which can cause system instability.
...+1

CXXXV said:
Jailbreaking... so many things you never though your phone COULD do!!

Have Android. Wanted to give iPhone a try and see what all the hoppla is about. My MOTO Droid2G is very stable BTW.

If all we wanted was calls and text we wouldn't need smartphones. I have a plain LG from my employer that does wonders in that department.

Not looking to start a fight. Just looking for ways to compare phone to phone. I do this by trying to establish the same abilities in each. So I am just trying to do the same things on the I4S as I do on the Droid.

I guess I am encountering the typical Apple mentality: My way or the highway.

I'll be jailbreaking tonight and see what we can do.

You could just download the free app iOS 5 which will tell you everything your phone can/can't do

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5 using Tapatalk

Note: Clipped from original text so I can address the points.
Have Android. Wanted to give iPhone a try and see what all the hoppla is about.

Not looking to start a fight.

I guess I am encountering the typical Apple mentality: My way or the highway.

1) Hoppla. Interesting reason to try a phone out. What is even more interesting is that while Apple has the #1 and #2 selling phone, in the grand scheme of things the phones only make up a VERY SMALL part of the world market. Which means there is more "hoppla" for Android consider it owns a tad over 3 times the market share of iOS.

2) No one ever said you were.

3) If you are referring to the end users, you couldn't be more wrong. If on the other hand you are referring to Steve Jobs and the way he designed Apple products, you are 100% spot on accurate. Jobs publicly stated many times "The consumer doesn't know what they want till you put it in front of them". Based on what I have seen, he is technically correct for about 80% of the consumers out there.

I am one of the few people here that knows the insides and outs of both Android and iOS. In fact I know more about Android because I have read at least 25% of the code base used to compile it due to helping ROM makers for almost a year. Android has a LOT of good ideas and forward thinking designs. The issue is implementation of the Dalvik VM as well as the large disparity between the physical handsets themselves.

Let me give you a very solid and confirm-able example. iPhone 4 uses an 800 Mhz A4 processor. Due to the fact that everything on iOS is native compiled code there has never been a need for a "Ring Delay" feature in iOS. What is that feature you ask? In Android there is a setting loaded when the phone boots that says how many millisecond the OS is supposed to wait before actually running the ring tone. They had to do that because they don't know how long it will take for the phone to look up the contact, then look up the appropriate ringtone, the load that ringtone into memory and finally play that ringtone. IF that time delay expires, then the Android OS is coded to play the "default" ringtone which is already in memory.

Do you see the difference? Android had to code for the "worst case scenario" because there are 170+ different versions of hardware. Apple doesn't have to do that. They code the OS for one baseline memory foot print and CPU speed. Anything they make after that version of iOS is deployed is simply gravy because they already know it will be faster than its predecessor and in essence they always know it will work.

That is the key difference between Android and iOS in my opinion.

You love too speak about yourself don't you skull? Seems to a recurring theme in alot of your posts.

You love too speak about yourself don't you skull? Seems to a recurring theme in alot of your posts.

If stating a fact for a new comer that has no point of reference is an affront to you, you have my sincerest apologies.

But since I have to operate under the assumption that someone is reading a post of mine for the very first time, I don't see any other way to convey all the information at hand.

Either way, my intent is to inform people of a fact and give them a reference point for those facts. No more. No less.

Skull One said:
I am one of the few people here that knows the insides and outs of both Android and iOS. In fact I know more about Android because I have read at least 25% of the code base used to compile it due to helping ROM makers for almost a year.

Is that information really necessary?

Is that information really necessary?

Yes, it gives context and informs the reader if they should have any further questions on the topic, that is being discussed, that I should have the ability to answer any of those questions.

Look at it this way. You have never seen me write a single word about my personal life. I only reference something that I would speak about professionally in front of a gathering of my peers.

Hence that is why "I" know I don't like talking about myself and why I offered you my apologies if you misconstrued my intentions.

Skull. I am a developer and I know much of what you are saying. However, you missed my whole point. I simply want to configure my phone the way I want to use it. The iPhone will not let me do that. Even prior to Android and iOS, phones allowed users to do that. Heck, even Blackberry does that. It's simple things like the ICONS I want on the home screen and where I want them.

Is it to much to ask for a decent alarm clock application.

The ability to set the phone to continue to notify of a missed call or received text or e-mail. While we are on the subject of texting, why do the iOS developers think everyone likes the bubbles. I find them childish and hard to read. Just give me a choice.

It's absurd that to make things the way one wants you have to Jailbreak (silly name, btw). Every one else calls it root access.

I will say that the iPhone does do a very good job with the radio and data access. But the rest is sorely lacking.

Do you see the difference? Android had to code for the "worst case scenario" because there are 170+ different versions of hardware. Apple doesn't have to do that. They code the OS for one baseline memory foot print and CPU speed. Anything they make after that version of iOS is deployed is simply gravy because they already know it will be faster than its predecessor and in essence they always know it will work.

That part of your answer added nothing BTW. The very fact that the hardware and software are so well integrated should make much easier to provide the items I am looking for.

Last edited:
Skull. I am a developer and I know much of what you are saying. However, you missed my whole point. I simply want to configure my phone the way I want to use it. The iPhone will not let me do that. Even prior to Android and iOS, phones allowed users to do that. Heck, even Blackberry does that. It's simple things like the ICONS I want on the home screen and where I want them.

Is it to much to ask for a decent alarm clock application.

The ability to set the phone to continue to notify of a missed call or received text or e-mail. While we are on the subject of texting, why do the iOS developers think everyone likes the bubbles. I find them childish and hard to read. Just give me a choice.

It's absurd that to make things the way one wants you have to Jailbreak (silly name, btw). Every one else calls it root access.

I will say that the iPhone does do a very good job with the radio and data access. But the rest is sorely lacking.

That part of your answer added nothing BTW. The very fact that the hardware and software are so well integrated should make much easier to provide the items I am looking for.

I didn't miss your point at all. You want features you are "used to" in Android. You believe you are entitled and that they should be offered to you. My answer was to that point. Apple made a product that worked under a very strict set of rules. Basically the iPhone 3GS. The 4 and the 4S are easily twice to four times more powerful. Yet Apple has to code to their lowest common denominator and provide the same level of attention to detail across all phones. Otherwise iOS would be in the same boat Android is now. Fragmented.

As a developer you should realize there are constraints involved with every coding situation. And the section of my answer that you highlighted emphasizes those constraints as well as the implications. Without making that point, I had no reason to even bother commenting.

Android fits your requested needs. I am curious why you haven't switched back to it. Jailbreaking, yes I concur it is a dumb name for a *nix based OS, is only going to allow you to go so far into replacing the look and feel of iOS. I concur that Apple's near draconian level of control is rather stifling to developers as well as to creative users. But Apples design philosophies go back to a very simple premise. It simply works. The first thing you are going to notice after you jailbreak iOS is that all the failures people complain about in Android start to show up in iOS when you push it too far. Because you have now changed the display, timing and functionality of a hard coded system.

What I am about to type is not meant to be flippant and is something that I have discussed at great length with other developer. Mainly because I was in your position on March 31st of this year.

If you want a customizable OS you only have two choices at present. Android or build your own OS. If you believe you have a better idea of how things should be done, I highly recommend you go the own OS route. There is a TON of money to be made in this arena. Apple has proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you can create something that runs on low end hardware, like the iPhone 3GS, and provides full customization thru some type of user defined layouts you would be able to license the OS to dozen of phone makers. But be aware, you have to build a better OS than Apple because at present Android is free to the 35+ manufactures that use it at present, well save for some licensing fees that Microsoft collects.

Now if we had access to iOSes source code would we be having a much different discussion? Yes. But the reality is only Android is open source. And that is why it has so much customization available for it.