What's new

SMS alert tone while in conversation

izzyfanto

Reaction score
from the title, I am asking if there is a tweak that lets you change the SMS alert tone while in conversation...the stupid small incoming "whoosh" sound is worthless, especially when the phone display turns off while Messages is still open....I never hear when someone texts me back. any ideas? or know where the sound file is located in iFile?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

izzyfanto said:
from the title, I am asking if there is a tweak that lets you change the SMS alert tone while in conversation...the stupid small incoming "whoosh" sound is worthless, especially when the phone display turns off while Messages is still open....I never hear when someone texts me back. any ideas? or know where the sound file is located in iFile?

Oh man. I wish there was a tweak for this. I'd pay for it.
I hate when a text comes through and your custom tone blasts in your ear in the middle of a conversation. I have been turning the silence button on for a quick fix. Sure would be nice to have the ability to cut it off automatically though...

my bad, I meant something different: while in the SMS conversation, and A reply comes back, there is that whoosh sound but I want it to be the regular alert one so I can hear it. does that make sense?

If I have the sound you mean straight in my mind, in iFile, go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds; the file I'm thinking of is called: SIMToolkitSMS.caf.

You can either change the stock file to a sound you want or theme it - your choice. Me, I'd always go with theming, but mainly cause I'm too chicken to change the stock Apple files directly. :D

Let me know if that's the one? Good luck.

Marilyn

Mickey330 said:
If I have the sound you mean straight in my mind, in iFile, go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds; the file I'm thinking of is called: SIMToolkitSMS.caf.

You can either change the stock file to a sound you want or theme it - your choice. Me, I'd always go with theming, but mainly cause I'm too chicken to change the stock Apple files directly. :D

Let me know if that's the one? Good luck.

Marilyn

good find, that's exactly the sound I was talking about! I will let you know how it goes, I think I will just copy the sound I want to that directory, delete the current one and rename mine.

UPDATE 2July2012: Sorry i never responded, but it worked....I actually did what Zig said below just now and that works too

Last edited:
Oh man. I wish there was a tweak for this. I'd pay for it.
I hate when a text comes through and your custom tone blasts in your ear in the middle of a conversation. I have been turning the silence button on for a quick fix. Sure would be nice to have the ability to cut it off automatically though...

Sorry for the thread jack Izzy.

But this is what i want to know as well. When im on the phone conversing and i get a text message it sounds off full blast in my ear and interrupts the conversation. Anybody know how to fix this? Or is cuz i have custom ringtones?

Would also like to know the answer to this, I just had my SMS tone blast in my ear while talking on the phone

Tapatalk'd from my iPhone 4s

You dont need a tweak for this.

All you need is iFile.

System/Library/Audio/UISounds.

Look for "ReceivedMessage".

Tap the blue arrow. And change "ReceivedMessage.caf" to "ReceivedMessage.ca".

Respring...and the swoosh sound you here when receiving a message while in the conversation is gone.

To have the sound again...just change ".ca" to ".caf".

Very simple procedure.

All you need is iFile.

Respring...and the swoosh sound you here when receiving a message while in the conversation is gone.

Very simple procedure.

I don't get the swoosh sound though, that's what I want. It plays my SMS tone full blast in my ear

MwSlim said:
I don't get the swoosh sound though, that's what I want. It plays my SMS tone full blast in my ear

I was not responding to your post. I was responding to the OP's post.

For your situation...i would just toggle the mute switch when you answer a call. That is all I can think if.

That has happened to me myself...but I think like twice, and that's it. Not a big deal....unless it happened every time I was on the phone or something.

I was not responding to your post. I was responding to the OP's post.

For your situation...i would just toggle the mute switch when you answer a call. That is all I can think if.

That has happened to me myself...but I think like twice, and that's it. Not a big deal....unless it happened every time I was on the phone or something.

I know you weren't but you seem to have all the answers lol 👍

It doesn't happen often but it just happened to happen right before I read this thread

All you need is iFile.

Very simple procedure.

cool, thanks!

MwSlim said:
I know you weren't but you seem to have all the answers lol ddc4d

It doesn't happen often but it just happened to happen right before I read this thread

It has happened to me before too...I know what ya mean.lol. It's a ringer.lol.

is there a way to remove this 'swoosh' alert tone in sms conversations without having jailbroken your phone??

The tip from zig9449 worked even better than I had hoped on my iPhone 4S ... I actually deleted the UISounds files for send and received using iFile and it not only silenced the annoying text music alert when In Call but also did away with that 'eepp' sound when sending or receiving a iMessage !!