What's new

Slow speed tests

vinniesuch

Reaction score
I'm very new to the verizon iphone 4 and seem to be having problems with my download speeds. Have the speedtest.net app and here are my results 0.98 mbps download 0.74 upload 271 ping second test numbers are 0.52 ,0.02 ,368 3rd test numbers 0.40,0.04,276 and 4th test was the best 1.31,0.87,183. Should these numbers be alot better or no??

Do you run these test with location services off or on? You will get different speeds. Secondly, do you reboot iPhone after each test? If not, you may get wrong speeds because you do not clear the cache. I use the app speedtest and i set it up to display speed in kbs. I kill the app, run it again and it stills displays in kbs. However if I reboot phone and run app it will go back to default which is Mbs. So it clears the cache. If i run the app several times, I get really flakey speeds varying from 50 kbs to over 1000 kbs. Then when I reboot, the first run always seems to be consistently near 500 kbs at home and around 2 Mbs at work. this is the same with the FCC speed test. So don't take your readings too seriously unless you reboot after each test to clear the cache.

Speed tests are a crock anyway. They bounce through several servers. When I worked for the phone company, we used to be able to show how the test worked. It bounced through servers located all across the country.

Last edited:
If you hold the iPhone 4 the improper way it could interfere with the result (the iPhone must be held below the black bars on the lower portion of the iPhone )

If you hold the iPhone 4 the improper way it could interfere with the result (the iPhone must be held below the black bars on the lower portion of the iPhone )

Stepping 10' to your left or right can affect speed too, that's the nature of wireless, it's really imperfect.