What's new

SIM card activation

darryl_co

Reaction score
Hi,
I received an iPhone 7 as a gift from my friend staying in the US.He had received this phone by the company he was working for.As he already owned an iphone 7 he never used it and the company never took it back when quit the job.
when I insert any indian sim card it says Sim not supported.Searching on the internet I found that the phone is locked to some service provider in the US.Phone was not used so knowing service provider and provided by the company so finding reseller name is impossible.
The only option left is third party service for activation.I have read that the imei number is blocked by apple in its database, than how can a third party enter the imei in apples database?
Please guide where and who locks the phone to prevent sim activation

Hi,
I received an iPhone 7 as a gift from my friend staying in the US.He had received this phone by the company he was working for.As he already owned an iphone 7 he never used it and the company never took it back when quit the job.
when I insert any indian sim card it says Sim not supported.Searching on the internet I found that the phone is locked to some service provider in the US.Phone was not used so knowing service provider and provided by the company so finding reseller name is impossible.
The only option left is third party service for activation.I have read that the imei number is blocked by apple in its database, than how can a third party enter the imei in apples database?
Please guide where and who locks the phone to prevent sim activation
Your friend would have to get the iPhone unlocked by the carrier it's locked to. This would require him to approach the company he used to work for and may result in them realizing he still has the iPhone, resulting in a demand for its return.
Third parties cannot change IMEI numbers in the Apple data base, high security would prevent that.

Actually, his former employer is propably the registered owner and they would have to be willing to tell the service provider to unlock it. I would be surprised if they would do it however.

Thanks for your guidance, I contacted AT&T and requested for unlocking the device and it was unlocked by them for "FREE". Please don't be surprised, even I am surprised the solution was so simple
I’m glad there were no problems.
I guess that all AT&T is concerned about is that the iPhone is not under contract.