What's new

Should I get the 16GB or 32GB iPhone 4?

krisztiana

Reaction score
I want to buy an iPhone and I would prefer buying the 32GB just so I'm prepared for anything and have lots of memory to spare, but price plays a huge role and I'd like to not pay for extra memory that I won't use.
So considering the following, how much memory do I need?

- I used to own a 32GB iPod, unfortunately it met a watery death before I could get all the stats to base the purchase of my iPhone on it.
- I love music and currently have 6GB of music that I must have on the iPhone 4 that I will buy. I update my music in huge chunks every couple of months or so and I definitely need room for all my music.
- I download shows and I would put one or two movies and maybe a full season of episodes of a show on my iPhone but I usually delete them as I watch them (unless its a classic movie that I like to watch a lot).
- I like apps.. I would need 50-100. I know that's a huge range but it's what I need.
- I don't know what other memory usage comes with an iPhone as opposed to an iPod, but I would assume text messaging using memory. And in that area I would be texting a lot. All the time, lots of conversations with lots of people...
- In the department of notes, I don't think notes take up that much memory but if it matters I write dozens upon dozens of notes... I had at least 100 after less than 1yr with my iPod.

So that's all I can think of that would contribute to memory usage.
Would I be able to make do with 16GB or do I need the 32GB?
Thank you!

its only an extra 100 and to be honest you would think you wold never use up 32GB and some are happy even with 4 or 8GB but with what you said i think the 32 would be more suited for you, beter to have a little too much then buying the 16 and regretting it later..

the memory fills up so quickly. download a few apps have some tv eps or movies and the amount of mp3 you have. might take a while to fill it but its there..

imo its the same as when you buy a pc/mac you get more even though you might not use it and the space will last a long time.

32 all the way :D

ok so you have 6GB of mp3 - that puts you at 26GB

then lets say 100 apps, depending on what apps you download and the size they can very from a few 100mb's even 10-20mb's for the smaller apps like twitter or fb and then a GB or two for the larger games.

lets say 6GB a rough guestimate as we really have no idea of the size of the apps/games putting you at 20GB

1-2 seasons of your fav show lets say chuck? or desperate housewives? or gossip girl? or maybe a 20 minut episode like two and a half men?

each season is around 4GB for a whole season so another 8GB for them putting you @ 12GB

notes? 5mb lets say.. so not much

plus your iphone is partitioned one half has your ios i think might be about 1GB now so you never see a full 32GB any way, your capacity will be more like 29GB

so i think you will regret it if you buy the 16GB model

oh and how about photo's you might add or take with the camera? or even the HD videos do you think you will use that much?

oh and how about photo's you might add or take with the camera? or even the HD videos do you think you will use that much?

oh right. I had at least 2000 pictures. although I could do without having those on my iPhone and then the pictures I take I can move to my computer at least once a week. And I don't need that many movies on my iPhone. I'm not that rich so if it would save me $100 I can sync my iPhone every night to put on 2 episodes of my favourite show.
I just have to know if that could work or if even then I wouldn't have enough room.. I just need to save as much money as possible considering I'm paying a lot per month for the plan!

Speaking of the plan, do you know if with Rogers you can have a data plan without getting a voice plan (just pay-per-use for voice)? I don't call people, I hate talking on phones I'd rather do it face to face but I love texting and I need the data...

seems like a lot of hassle just to save data..

but its always good to backup..

i dont know about their data plans you would need to contact them as i am not in canada i really dont know, maybe some one else here might.

I chose 32gb without any hesitation because my past experience with my N96 16gb was nearly full, so I did not want to fall into that same trap again.
G0 32, you will not regret it.

Go with the 32GB. You sound like you really like your apps (as do I) so for a device with no removeable storage, go for the largest you can get. I got the 32GB and don't regret it at all.

I don't think this is even debatable.

I completely agree with all of you guys. You should definitely go with 32GB. Few movies + music + pictures + apps + tv shows is going to take some space. Actually if you're thinking of downloading a GPS which could be another few GBs you might even want to consider 64GB once iphone 5 comes out. Just a thought.

It would be so great to have a micro mem card slot, but I guess with Apple this will never happen, I wonder why?