What's new

Should I get an Ipod 2g..?

Grimreaper

Reaction score
Someone In my class has an ipod 2g that he has had since it first came out, and the screen is cracked. One of my teachers can get you a new screen and put it on if you give him 10$, so That isn't a huge deal. I'm sort of wondering if it is even worth it, because it came out in like 2008, so it's already like 4 years old, And I don't know If it's just going to die in a half a year or not. I don't want to put all my music on then have it die a few months later. It's not jailbroken. I could probably get it for 40$ from him, plus the 10$ repair for the screen. Do you think it is even worth it, Beacuse I want it to last a while, not just a few months, and is that even a good deal or not? It's not in bad condition aside from the screen, but i'm not really sure how he treats it.

Honestly.......I do not think it is worth it......It will die on you eventually, and will be sooner rather than later......Plus you cannot jailbreak without it lagging like crazy.I mean unless you restore it t a Whited00r iPSW.then it works pretty fast....

But if you rally want the device to last a while like you said, I would spend the money on an iPod touch 4G....

You can buy refurbished iPod Touches from the Apple Website and they are really cheap.....and they truly are just as good as a brand new one fresh from the factory.

trust me man........I have delt with and tried to fix a lot of my friend's iPod Touch 3G/2G's and I did, but it never ended with the problems and I suspect it was simply because they were old, and generally not well takin care of.

You can buy a nice brand new refurbished iPod Touch 4G here: Refurbished iPod - Apple Store (U.S.)

However the choice is up to you....

Who knows, maybe the 2g will last another year...I wouldn't count on that, but ya never know.

Or you could at least buy it to hold ya off until you have the extra cash to buy a refurbished iPod Touch 4G. Like I said.......It's up to you.

Just my $0.02

Thanks. One of my friends has an iphone 4, (not 4s), and I'm sure he would sell it to me after the next iphone comes out, so Maybe I'll just have to wait another half of a year, and get that. When do you think the next iphone would be out? And what do you think is a fair price for him to sell me his 16 gb iphone 4, it's in pretty good condition, no major flaws. 150$? How much better is the iphone 4 than the ipod 4th gen?

Grimreaper said:
Thanks. One of my friends has an iphone 4, (not 4s), and I'm sure he would sell it to me after the next iphone comes out, so Maybe I'll just have to wait another half of a year, and get that. When do you think the next iphone would be out? And what do you think is a fair price for him to sell me his 16 gb iphone 4, it's in pretty good condition, no major flaws. 150$? How much better is the iphone 4 than the ipod 4th gen?

How much should he sell it for?

It depends. There are some variables.

•Depends if the phone is locked to a network or is factory unlocked.
•depends if it's on the latest iOS version (you DO NOT want the phone to be on the latest iOS. You want it to be jailbreakable....should an unlock be needed).
•depends how nice the phone looks.lol
•depends if the phone IMEI is bad(happens to stolen iPhones mostly)
•depends if you want to sign up with his carrier the iPhone is locked to (if it is locked to a carrier) or if you want to bother with unlocking it to use on a GSM carrier of your choice.

Also note that If it is a CDMA iPhone (like Sprint or Verizon) the. The phone cannot be unlocked at all.

If it is a CDMA iPhone you'll have to use it on his carrier.
If the phone is factory unlocked....well... A factory unlocked iPhone can cost anywhere from $600 to $800....so if it is factory unlocked then he will probably charge a lot....or just be nice and give to ya for a couple hundred bucks. That would be nice.

Tho I can say this:

If the iPhone is a GSM iPhone then you can use the phone on Straight Talk with unlimited talk, text, and data. No jailbreak required....but Jailbreaking in itself really enhances the experience of using any iDevice, as long as its on a jailbreakable iOS version.

How much should he sell it for?

It depends. There are some variables.

•Depends if the phone is locked to a network or is factory unlocked.
•depends if it's on the latest iOS version (you DO NOT want the phone to be on the latest iOS. You want it to be jailbreakable....should an unlock be needed).
•depends how nice the phone looks.lol
•depends if the phone IMEI is bad(happens to stolen iPhones mostly)
•depends if you want to sign up with his carrier the iPhone is locked to (if it is locked to a carrier) or if you want to bother with unlocking it to use on a GSM carrier of your choice.

Also note that If it is a CDMA iPhone (like Sprint or Verizon) the. The phone cannot be unlocked at all.

If it is a CDMA iPhone you'll have to use it on his carrier.
If the phone is factory unlocked....well... A factory unlocked iPhone can cost anywhere from $600 to $800....so if it is factory unlocked then he will probably charge a lot....or just be nice and give to ya for a couple hundred bucks. That would be nice.

Tho I can say this:

If the iPhone is a GSM iPhone then you can use the phone on Straight Talk with unlimited talk, text, and data. No jailbreak required....but Jailbreaking in itself really enhances the experience of using any iDevice, as long as its on a jailbreakable iOS version.

I feel kind of stupid saying this, but I didn't understand most of that. International Mobile Equipment Identity IMEI- what do you mean if the IMEI is bad? I don't really get that? And I must not have mentioned this, But I wont be using the iphone as a phone, It will be de-activated and I will just use it as an I-pod touch. I am almost positive he is running on AT&T. The phone is in pretty good condition, it looks pretty nice, no major flaws I can see. And what do you mean by a GSM phone? And If I did just use it as an Ipod touch for a year, Could I still start using that straight talk plan? Like say That I didn't have enough money, and just used it without a phone plan like an ipod touch. A year later I come across some money, would I still be able to use it on the straight talk plan? Also, You sadi it cannot be jailbroken if it has the latest IOS. Does that mean it just cannot have the latest update, or what?Thanks, Sorry for not knowing, I'm just not used to those terms. Haha. thanks!

Last edited:
Grimreaper said:
I feel kind of stupid saying this, but I didn't understand most of that. International Mobile Equipment Identity IMEI- what do you mean if the IMEI is bad? I don't really get that? And I must not have mentioned this, But I wont be using the iphone as a phone, It will be de-activated and I will just use it as an I-pod touch. I am almost positive he is running on AT&T. The phone is in pretty good condition, it looks pretty nice, no major flaws I can see. And what do you mean by a GSM phone? And If I did just use it as an Ipod touch for a year, Could I still start using that straight talk plan? Like say That I didn't have enough money, and just used it without a phone plan like an ipod touch. A year later I come across some money, would I still be able to use it on the straight talk plan? Also, You sadi it cannot be jailbroken if it has the latest IOS. Does that mean it just cannot have the latest update, or what?Thanks, Sorry for not knowing, I'm just not used to those terms. Haha. thanks!

It's cool man, if you want to just use as an iPod and for Internet via wifi then you could easily do that.

Having the latest iOS is not your concern, but it might be some day, so look up on google how to save SHSH blobs and always save SHSH with Tiny Umbrella when a new iOS version comes out(and you should tell your friend do this as soon as you see him. Tell him it helps to be able to restore to whatever iOS version you have SHSH for, since Apple does not allow use of an older iOS) . It will increase the resale value of the iPhone *greatly*....should you want to sell it in the future.

Also, should you happen to want to use it, you can always use the phone on the StraightTalk plan at any time. Just buy a Straight Talk SIM card and put it in the phone. Simple. Have to do a few things to get data and mms but all in all it works. And it is best for most phones used on a network it was not meant to be on to be jailbroken....which is why it is important to save SHSH blobs with Tiny Umbrella.....as well as it increases the resale value of the iPhone.

Oh yeah...that is what GSM is. A GSM carrier uses SIM cards, like AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.

A CDMA iPhone 4 does not have a SIM card slot, and uses a CDMA radio to connect to the networks. Carriers like Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers.

A CDMA iPhone 4 cannot be unlocked because it does not have a GSM radio in with a SIM card slot.

The iPhone 4S has a GSM and CDMA radio....but that is not your situation. I am just saying that because some one would come along this thread and say "well ya know ziggy, the iPhone 4S has a CDMA radio and GSM radio" as if that would even matter in this particular situation.

Ok, so if it is on AT&T, is in pretty good condition, no major flaws, and is 16gb, What would be a good price for him to ask? Because I want to make sure he isn't ripping me off.

Grimreaper said:
Ok, so if it is on AT&T, is in pretty good condition, no major flaws, and is 16gb, What would be a good price for him to ask? Because I want to make sure he isn't ripping me off.

Well I would say the phone would be worth around $200-$400 easy....