What's new

Several Questions About The Iphone 7

DallasFan

Reaction score
I just bought my first Apple Product today....a new Iphone 7.

128 GB....lots of room for future storage.

I retired my Nexus 5 to replace it.

I can't believe how light it feels in my hand and how well it appears to be built.

And the speaker is much clearer as well.

It took me 2 hours to figure out how to do the most basic things like downloading apps, updating the newest update, getting my gmail account linked to Icloud etc...

Trial and error are good teachers.

Many things are similar but how they are handled are different.

If you got the time...I have a few questions...

1. I thought it had a flashlight like my Nexus. It had an icon on the front that allowed me to turn it on when I needed to read the menu in a dark restaurant. I saw that there is an APP I can download but I didn't find it after a brief search. Does anyone here use one they can recommend ?

2. I have some meditation recordings on my Nexus that I recently loaded. I want to move them to my new 7. I previously used a USB cable to move them with something called an ES File APP . I have not downloaded that one yet. Is that what I need to use? Where should I store them......In Documents, Music ?

3. How do you pull up 2 windows at one time ? I thought you could open the weather and Drudge report and have both windows open at the same time....I have not gotten that far yet.

4. On my android there was a place in the bottom right corner that allowed me to hit the window and see all the tiles / windows open at the same time. Then I could swipe them closed or minimize them. I have not seen that on my 7. Every time I want to open a new window I have tapped the home button to open a new window and have to go back and retap it to reopen it.........there has to be an easier way but I have only had it for a few hours. Is there a back button / arrow I am missing ?

5. I want to have a start screen that has the date, time and temperature. Or something similar......is there anything like that available or any apps you can recommend ? It has the date and time, but I would like the temperature as well.

6. What kind of settings should I enable / disable on my phone ? When I bought my laptop, the first thing I did was delete some bloatware and adjust some settings that I thought were invasive? Are there any changes you can recommend?

7. I don't have an overwhelming desire to get the new wireless earbuds but how do they work? Do they have to be charged, do they connect to bluetooth, can you use one at a time ? I haven't see this in any write ups.

8. When I have my phone on, the phone goes to sleep after about 5 seconds......how can I extend the amount of time it stays lit without diminishing?

9. What kind of APPs should I stop or disable to speed up completing the start up and maybe save some space?

That is all I have for now, but I'll have some more as I learn more about the phone.

Thanks for any help.

There are some great videos on YouTube to show you all the fantastic things your new iPhone is capable of. I found it much easier to watch how it's done. Welcome to the dark side.. lol enjoy the best phone on the market.

Hi Dallasfan and welcome lots to learn eh? The speakers are stereo that's one reason they sound so cool [emoji41].
The simplest way to find your torch is to slide your finger up from the bottom of the screen,
111d750bb12225c4eb71d3d67e5686c7.jpg

Up pops this on the left is the left is your torch, hold your finger on it to get brightness options. That whole screen slides left for some music options if you need them.
To keep your phone awake longer settings >display & brightness > auto-lock there it's adjustable.
Have fun with your new iPhone7
Lots of others will help with your other questions so stand by [emoji38]

There are some great videos on YouTube to show you all the fantastic things your new iPhone is capable of. I found it much easier to watch how it's done. Welcome to the dark side.. lol enjoy the best phone on the market.

I watched 3,4 of them last night but a lot of them were showing me tricks when I was figuring out how to connect to wifi and log in with my Apple ID.

I did learn a few things about the phone watching the videos though.

But, I never saw a video that recommended the most basic function that I learned last night.

Updating the software.

I guess Apple did an update between the time the phone was built, shipped and displayed and the last update.

When I stumbled on the link to update, I swiped the function not expecting much of a response; and it took 21 minutes to download.

That's a lot of updating.

I don't expect every video to have every tip in it, but that one should be a good start for any new phone.

Thanks.

T
Hi Dallasfan and welcome lots to learn eh? The speakers are stereo that's one reason they sound so cool [emoji41].
The simplest way to find your torch is to slide your finger up from the bottom of the screen,

Up pops this on the left is the left is your torch, hold your finger on it to get brightness options. That whole screen slides left for some music options if you need them.
To keep your phone awake longer settings >display & brightness > auto-lock there it's adjustable.
Have fun with your new iPhone7
Lots of others will help with your other questions so stand by [emoji38]

I adjusted the brightness and increased the time to 3 minutes.
I increased the size of the fonts and figured out how to use the flashilight and found the calculator and the timer.

I have questions 1 and 8 answered.

I got a lot accomplished ....:)

Thanks !

How do you 'like' a post.........I don't see the function/ thumbs up for that.

Last edited:
I watched 3,4 of them last night but a lot of them were showing me tricks when I was figuring out how to connect to wifi and log in with my Apple ID.

I did learn a few things about the phone watching the videos though.

But, I never saw a video that recommended the most basic function that I learned last night.

Updating the software.

I guess Apple did an update between the time the phone was built, shipped and displayed and the last update.

When I stumbled on the link to update, I swiped the function not expecting much of a response; and it took 21 minutes to download.

That's a lot of updating.

I don't expect every video to have every tip in it, but that one should be a good start for any new phone.

Thanks.

You have joined the right forum, you will get the answers here. They really are a helpful lot. Also google...it won't take you to long to get the hang of it...

T

I increased the size of the fonts and figured out how to use the flashilight and found the calculator and the timer.

Thanks !

If you're viewing the forum on a computer, the ratings icons don't show up until you move the pointer to the area at the bottom of the post where the icons are situated. You can then choose the one you want and click on it.

T

Thanks !

If you're viewing the forum on a computer, the ratings icons don't show up until you move the pointer to the area at the bottom of the post where the icons are situated. You can then choose the one you want and click on it.

I found them..........thanks !

Any recommendations for blocking ads and popups?

I use ABP: Adblock Popups and Google Ghostery on my laptop.

And suggestions for an Iphone?

The AirPods use a proprietary Apple technology which appears to be an updated version of BlueTooth. The major advancement over earlier BT is that both earpieces are independently supplied with a signal, meaning that you can use one. As soon as you take one out of your ear, a sensor switches it off, and when you put it in your ear it turns itself back on.

The case that they are supplied in contains a battery and will charge the AirPods when they are placed in it. The case can be charged via a built in Lightning port.

The AirPods use a proprietary Apple technology which appears to be an updated version of BlueTooth. The major advancement over earlier BT is that both earpieces are independently supplied with a signal, meaning that you can use one. As soon as you take one out of your ear, a sensor switches it off, and when you put it in your ear it turns itself back on.

The case that they are supplied in contains a battery and will charge the AirPods when they are placed in it. The case can be charged via a built in Lightning port.

Thanks, they might be worth picking up a pair.

The first impression is that they are an expensive toy, but think about the convenience of not being tethered to an electrical wire 3 feet long.

I can't count the number of times I have been using headphones or earbuds and had them jerked out of my ears or pulled the laptop/smartphone off the chair or table. It's probably one of those things that might encounter resistance at first because of the price but when the price comes down, everyone will wonder how they lived without them.

I was playing around with the Wallpapers........Settings ....Wallpaper........Choose.....

They have Dynamic, Stills and Live.

What is the difference between Dynamic and Stills?

Is that just the name for each class because both of them feature still photos and the Dynamics don't look dynamic at all...rather boring and plain looking.

What is the difference between Still and Perspective on STILLS ? Or on Live ? When I set each icon, I don't see a difference.