What's new

sending email on network

ZardozOne

Reaction score
Aloha all, seems like the horse may already be dead, but I just cannot believe that at this stage of development, the top smartphone seems to regularly display the same quirk: wont send email if wi-fi off. I have read about all sorts of home remedies, (delete account, insert name and pw into optional smtp, hard reset, change port setting, problem is with cable provider, etc.)

Well, my phone (iphone 4s) wont send email if away from a wi fi signal. Of course, if I am around my wi fi, why would I be trying to send an email with that mini virtual keyboard anyway?

As of July, 2012, is there any resolution to this issue which I find is a common problem?

Mahalo!!!

Sorry if I violated any of the forum rules. this is my first!!

Tom

If you are talking about your e-mail from your home ISP - its not the phone, it's your ISP. Most ISP's won't let you send emails if you are not on the ISP home network (thus, on your home WiFi). it's a security thing q and would be the same no matter what device you were using.

Your best bet is to get a cloud-based e-mail account such as Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail or the like. Then, you can send emails via WiFi or 3/4G with no trouble.

Marilyn

If you are talking about your e-mail from your home ISP - its not the phone, it's your ISP. Most ISP's won't let you send emails if you are not on the ISP home network (thus, on your home WiFi). it's a security thing q and would be the same no matter what device you were using.

Your best bet is to get a cloud-based e-mail account such as Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail or the like. Then, you can send emails via WiFi or 3/4G with no trouble.

Marilyn

thanks Marilyn, but isnt it AT&T's network which I send on when not running off of my home wi fi ISP (Oceanic)? How can Oceanic Time Warner's policy keep me from sending thru At&T's network?

Sorry for basic ignorance here.

Tom

I had a very hard time setting up my POP account correctly to send e-mail. It can be done, but it is very tricky....EVERY setting must be put in correctly and as your e-mail provider wants. When all was said and done with mine, it was a port setting I had wrong. I believe one other problem I had was that I had put in my full e-mail address and all it wanted was my username...not the full thing. Once it is done correctly and you go to "verify", check marks will appear beside all of the settings to show they are done correctly. It can be done, but it's a PIA!

thanks Marilyn, but isnt it AT&T's network which I send on when not running off of my home wi fi ISP (Oceanic)? How can Oceanic Time Warner's policy keep me from sending thru At&T's network?

Sorry for basic ignorance here.

Tom

The problem is that you are dealing with outdated Time Warner protocols. Another reason why I switched to a Gmail account for my main mail, versus having Time Warner (cause yes, that's my ISP also).

When you use the Time Warner e-mail account and send an e-mail, what it is first doing is going back to Time Warner's SMTP servers. The server will not accept the mail (to pass it on) unless you are coming from something that SMTP server supports. In other words, you have to be on Time Warner's account. Which means - you have to be on Time Warner's ISP.

So, when you are using the 3G connection, the Time Warner service does not see you as coming from the Time Warner account with that e-mail. Thus, it rejects (and will every time).

Do note that this is only an issue if you are dealing with the default Mail app on the iPhone. If you go into your Time Warner e-mail account via the web browser, it will work fine. That's because it isn't trying to funnel the e-mail back to Time Warner's SMTP servers.

You are caught between a rock and a hard place here. You had to set up your iPhone's Mail app to connect to Time Warner's server, else it wouldn't work with WiFi. But, that connection is the very reason why it won't work when you are not on your home WiFi; the SMTP server knows that you are not sending from your home account. And, so it won't go through. Ever.

Again, the way I got around this is to use a web-based account such as Gmail. And, until Time Warner switches over to IMTP/Exchange mail (and dumps the POP accounts) - you won't ever be able to send emails via 3G. It's all about the routing.

I hope this helps and was a bit clearer than mud. :)

Marilyn

ahh, sorry for the non help from me! LOL! did not notice it was Time Warner. UGH! Can he set up a gmail account and use it's server to send out TW e-mail?