What's new

Network Status: “Not Available”, but CarrierBars and Wi-Fi Bars at the top show otherwise

Bcavender

Reaction score
This is a Top Level iPhone/Carrier Guru problem.

In the upper left corner, I see USCellular bars as well as Wi-Fi bars, however under

Settings=>General=>About=>Network

I always get “Not Available”.

If I am in an area with good USCellular coverage, I can place voice calls just fine, however if I go to an area with no cell service, but good Wi-Fi, I can still text and browse the net, but even though I still have Wi-Fi bars, I cannot turn on Wi-Fi Calling because the slide button does not appear. (with Network still showing “Not Available”).

I previously had this iPhone 8 properly doing Wi-Fi Calling on the ATT Network the day before the network switch so it really should be able to still do WiFi Calling.

My wife has a i10r and it runs both cellular and wifi calling properly, but the “Network” status shown there is “USCellular” and “USCC Wi-Fi” respectively under the same signal availability.

I am thinking that what is causing the “Not Available” status for Network is causing the “Turn On Wi-Fi Calling” button from appearing.

It seems to me that although cell and Wi-Fi is working, possibly some carrier software upgrade that interacts with the configuration may not be completely backwards compatible with the i8 and it is keeping Network: Not Available and the Wireless Calling button disabled …

The USCellular Tech spent a Yeoman’s two hr with me to rule out SIM card issues as well as backing up data and loading a new, latest software image v16 … still with no change to allow Wi-Fi Calling to work. Very puzzling, but with all the simple stuff checked, it sure seems likely that the central network isn’t downloading some parameter(s) properly maybe like an APN that could be entered manually? (A WAG).

I need a Guru’s Guru on this tough dog problem as I am out of my depth here.

Any an all thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

B

1670732626696.png

First, try toggling Cellular off, then back on in Settings> Cellular. Also set Data Mode to Standard. Data Roaming Off. Make sure Low Data Mode is off.

Try turning Airplane Mode on, wait a few seconds, then turn back off.

If you haven't already, try Reset Network Settings. Go to Settings> General> Scroll down to Transfer or Reset iPhone> Reset> Reset Network Settings. Afterwards, sign back in to wifi.

You might also try Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, wallpaper, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

What did the support rep say might be the problem?

First, try toggling Cellular off, then back on in Settings> Cellular. Also set Data Mode to Standard. Data Roaming Off. Make sure Low Data Mode is off.

Try turning Airplane Mode on, wait a few seconds, then turn back off.

If you haven't already, try Reset Network Settings. Go to Settings> General> Scroll down to Transfer or Reset iPhone> Reset> Reset Network Settings. Afterwards, sign back in to wifi.

You might also try Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, wallpaper, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

What did the support rep say might be the problem?
LED,
Great! Thanks for the response!

The first two items brought no change.

Third, when I went to the Settings>General>Reset page, there was no “Reset Network Setting” to hit.

1670816127250.jpeg

That is consistent with the enable WI-FI Calling button being missing.

I will try the Reset All tomorrow when I meet w the USCC tech again.

The Apple support guy told the USCC tech that there were a subset of i8 hardware that could not do Wi-Fi Calling. (Real odd). But I had this phone on the ATT net for ~3 yr doing Wi-Fi calling with zero pbms. So he could not offer more.

The interesting thing is that Texting, Voice Calls Over Cellular and FaceTime have to access the network protocol stack to use the ‘network’ and all three work perfectly.

Wi-Fi Calling would seem to be another peer app to the other three using the stack, but when it tries to open a network connection, it’s getting “Not Available” instead of getting a channel setup.

(Best thinking I can come up with).

Appreciate your suggestions!!!
Best regards,

B

LED,
Great! Thanks for the response!

The first two items brought no change.

Third, when I went to the Settings>General>Reset page, there was no “Reset Network Setting” to hit.

View attachment 69752
That is consistent with the enable WI-FI Calling button being missing.

I will try the Reset All tomorrow when I meet w the USCC tech again.

The Apple support guy told the USCC tech that there were a subset of i8 hardware that could not do Wi-Fi Calling. (Real odd). But I had this phone on the ATT net for ~3 yr doing Wi-Fi calling with zero pbms. So he could not offer more.

The interesting thing is that Texting, Voice Calls Over Cellular and FaceTime have to access the network protocol stack to use the ‘network’ and all three work perfectly.

Wi-Fi Calling would seem to be another peer app to the other three using the stack, but when it tries to open a network connection, it’s getting “Not Available” instead of getting a channel setup.

(Best thinking I can come up with).

Appreciate your suggestions!!!
Best regards,

B

You need to tap on "Reset" in your screenshot. Then you'll see Reset Network Settings and Reset All Settings.