What's new

selling iphone needing to erase everything without losing jailbreak and unlock

ale25

Reaction score
ive searched the forum and i couldnt find anything about it i want to sell my iphone 4s but i want to erase all my pictures and information i have on this phone without losing the jailbreak and unlock so i dont want to do a reset and i been reading if i reset through the phone it will put me into an infinite loop and id have to restore so what i was thinking was if i unjailbreak it then i erase all content and settings through the phone i wouldnt need to update or anything right? and that way i wouldnt be stuck in the loop right? i would still be on 5.0.1 with firmware 1.0.13 after everything right? then i can just jailbreak it again and add all the apps i need to so itll be compatible with t mobile? its unlocked through the gevey sim so i want to make sure i dont need to update it and lose my unlock. all info would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

i also heard about an app called panicroom not too sure if that would be another way

To wipe all your personal information off your iPhone the safest way is to restore with iTunes...

and just set it up as a new phone? wouldnt i need to update it though or is there a way around that?

You can jailbreak the latest firmware for the iPhone 4s(which is 5.1.1)....if your're currently software unlocked then you will NEED to take steps to preserve the current baseband...so you can guarantee your iPhone being unlocked after a full restore

I sold couple of jailbroken iPhones in the past. I just erased everything manually whatever I added into the phone and most importantly sign out of itunes. Just remember don't reset the phone it could go into an never-ending loop.

I sold couple of jailbroken iPhones in the past. I just erased everything manually whatever I added into the phone and most importantly sign out of itunes. Just remember don't reset the phone it could go into an never-ending loop.

That's not a good way to do things... there is software available that can pull deleted photo's, SMS text messages... a full restore as a "New Device" is the best way to go..

okay thank you i been doing a lot of research and i think i found a way to do it. im going to put it into dfu mode and restore it with the current software version which the 5.0.1 (9a406) and then that way ill just do the process of jailbreaking and setting up the gevey sim card again.

if i was to update the software version to 5.1.1 jailbreak it and i have saved my shsh blobs with tinyumbrella, that would preserve my baseband and i will keep my unlock correct?

this is a verizon 4s that i have unlocked for tmobile through the GEVEY ultra S CDMA so i want to make sure i can still keep the unlock

thats exactly what i was thinking too thats why i didnt want to go that way...

Read and understand what you doing when Preserving baseband...get this wrong and your baseband will be updated during the Restore causing you to lose you Unlock...

Guys, a little bit of misunderstanding above I think! :D You cannot preserve the baseband on a 4S as things stand. Since there is no bootrom exploit you can't use custom firmwares etc.

The OP has a CDMA Verizon 4S and a Gevey Ultra S CDMA. Whilst we don't do CDMA on my side of the pond, from what I understand, the good news for ale25 is that a 4S on the latest 5.1.1 IOS can still be unlocked with the Gevey Ultra S CDMA :)
So all you need to do is connect to iTunes, restore the device to factory fresh 5.1.1, activate it, use redsn0w or Absinthe to jailbreak it, then go about the unlock with the Gevey Ultra S CDMA as normal (instructions on the AppleNBerry website).
You should have a clean fresh jailbroken and unlocked phone which you can then sell on. No need for messing around trying to do things which you can't do to a 4S! ;)

ale25, you won't be able to restore 5.0.1 to the device. That is not what Apple considers the "current" firmware. It's irrelevant what you currently have on the 4S. You can't use SHSH Blobs to restore 5.0.1 on the 4S as things stand today either. If you have to restore, the only option is 5.1.1 and the associated updated baseband. Provided you can restore and activate the phone, unlocking it with your Gevey should not be a problem.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: