What's new

Secondary iPhone answering via Bluetooth app

LouF

Reaction score
I have an idea for an app. It would allow one to use an old iPhone for alternately answering calls i.e. when the source mobile phone sounds, I would like to be able to answer the call through a secondary (old) iPhone via Bluetooth or at the the source phone. This would be similar to alternately taking/placing a call through my car stereo.

Since the onset of mobile phones, I have noticed a huge step back for phones in the house: Before, there were multiple phones in covenient spots; now I have one phone, always have to know where I last put it down, or I then have to walk far to get to the phone in time. Its a PITA. This way, one could set their phone down, say, whrn they get in the house, and if another phone is at another spot, the call can be answered from there

...so somebody write that...I get 10% (lol)

I don't want to use any of the other systems that do something similar, no call forwarding, not WiFi, nor a hot spot for data ; I want to alternatively use my old iPhone via BT.

Piggybacked, mirrored, tethered, client-server, Air-Connect, secondary, alternate

My no SIM iPhone and my iPad both answer calls to my 6S Plus on the wifi, does this do what you are asking?

I looks like it would be close, but not exactly how I'd want it to work (looking for BT only). I can't seem to activate FaceTime on the "client" phone, therefore it's not operating via WiFi (as much as I can tell, and assuming this is the method you're suggesting/using). Thanks for your suggestion/authentication. I am going to continue to try to get this to work in the meantime.

Last edited:
You can also forward all your calls to another phone and answer them all on the secondary phone on BT along with calls from your regular number as well. You won't get text messages this way, but all calls will be routed to the phone you have setup with the call forwarding that is in settings / general / phone. Then goto call forwarding. This may work, or I'm way off base as to what you want to accomplish. Hope this help an find the issue!!

And you can also add more then one email address for FaceTime. You Can be reached at more than one number or email address by using this feature on FaceTime. Just some food for thought. Like I said, I could be way off base here with my suggestions, so try it before relying on any of the info I have given. Again, hope you get it resolved. Have a great night.

That's great and I appreciate it, but this is spinning way off course. If you've had a car radio with phone "continuity" you might see the intent easier. - They hook up through Bluetooth; want to do the same with a old phone.

As far as trying the FaceTime/WiFi/etc..., it seems that old phones without service will not receive SMS and therefore will not be able to activate Facetime (or iMessage).

That's great and I appreciate it, but this is spinning way off course. If you've had a car radio with phone "continuity" you might see the intent easier. - They hook up through Bluetooth; want to do the same with a old phone.

As far as trying the FaceTime/WiFi/etc..., it seems that old phones without service will not receive SMS and therefore will not be able to activate Facetime (or iMessage).
An iPhone that’s not activated with a cellular carrier can still be used for FaceTime and imessage over WiFi. That’s how WiFi only iPods and iPads send and receive FaceTime calls and iMessages. In this case, the FaceTime calls and iMessages are made using an email address; usually the one used as the Apple ID.

Ok, my SIMless phone is an old phone and with no SOM there is no service. I am not even sure what you are asking at this time.

What is/are your old phone(s)?

What operating system are they (I am no longer going to assume they are iOS phones)?

What specifically do you want to accomplish?

What specifically is your current device (the one you want to 'control' from) and what operating system is it in (again no longer assuming an iOS device)?

What distances are involved (do you want this to work if you left your primary device, say, at the gym)?

An iPhone that’s not activated with a cellular carrier can still be used for FaceTime and imessage over WiFi. That’s how WiFi only iPods and iPads send and receive FaceTime calls and iMessages. In this case, the FaceTime calls and iMessages are made using an email address; usually the one used as the Apple ID.

I must have been getting some sort of hold-up. For a while it wasn't activating, and now it doesn't have that message; It was saying "Waiting for Activation".

Last edited:
Ok, my SIMless phone is an old phone and with no SOM there is no service. I am not even sure what you are asking at this time.

What is/are your old phone(s)?

What operating system are they (I am no longer going to assume they are iOS phones)?

What specifically do you want to accomplish?

What specifically is your current device (the one you want to 'control' from) and what operating system is it in (again no longer assuming an iOS device)?

What distances are involved (do you want this to work if you left your primary device, say, at the gym)?

Old phone is a 4S on 9.3.5

Active cellular phone is a 6 (iOS 10.3.1)

Work within a house.

(The reason this thread is not making quite clear sense is because it is taking a mis-direction from the original intent with cross-talk to Facetime; I was orginally proposing a Bluetooth app to link phones. I keep on following up on the Facetime suggestions because, realistically, this is all that has a chance.)

Last edited:
Running 9.3.5 also
IMG_1498944007.483580.jpg

I have it set up to receive FaceTime calls to my primary phone's number (had to acknowledge the request on my primary phone). This is done under Settings FaceTime.

I receive iMessages sent to my primary phone by adding the phone number to Settings Messages Send and Receive.

For the phone answering I have it set up on my primary phone to allow calls on other devices
IMG_1498944754.219518.jpg

And selected my iPhone (this one) running 9.3.5 with no SIM) and my iPad.
IMG_1498944947.244677.jpg
This lets me answer the phone calls to my primary from either of the other devices.

I think this takes care of what I understand you want to do, if I am still misunderstanding please let me know and we can find a solution