What's new

screen not turning off while i'm on the phone

lanimae

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've had a 4 for a little while now and I've noticed the button are pressed by my ear while I'm having a conversation. I'm not sure but I thought the 3Gs screen I had before this one turned off sooner. It never had buttons pressed accidentally while I was using the fone. So while on a call, I'll here dtmf's or the speaker will turn on or the mic will mute. The screen seem to stay on for most of the cll which is why the buttons are available to be pressed. Has anyone got a suggestion? Or is this something I have simply not noticed for the lasyt 18 months? I have to use the headset (bang and olufsen headphones are fabulous by the way) or somethig goes wrong during the calls. I'd really welcome any feedback others may have. Thanks so much for reading.

My wife's phone was doing just the opposite - she couldn't get the screen to come on while in a call (to put in an ext # or whatever) - ended up being the case she was using - guess it was blocking the sensor by the earpiece.

It's a known problem for the iPhone 4. Although I've not experienced it myself. Apple are said to be working on an update to 'fix' it.

it was my gelskin case. I didn'rt know the prox sensor was above the earpiece, The cutout wasn't removed from the gelaskin properly. Once that was done it stoppped playing up for the most part. It only does it now very very occassionally. For all of the iphones that are playing up, I wonder if many of the have cases?

it was my gelskin case. I didn'rt know the prox sensor was above the earpiece, The cutout wasn't removed from the gelaskin properly. Once that was done it stoppped playing up for the most part. It only does it now very very occassionally. For all of the iphones that are playing up, I wonder if many of the have cases?

I just got my iphone, can you advice which case would be better to avoid the similar incident?
thanks!

Any one that doesn't have a front screen protector built in won't cause any extra problems. I would advise to get a normal screen protector as well as a case. Just make sure it has a small cut out above the earpiece.

I am using the otterbox defender case for my iphone 4. The cut out looks clean and does not look to be blocking the sensor. Could the otterbox be causing this or a glitch in the ipohone software? I will try the phone without the case to see if it still cause the screen to come on with the phone to my ear (should actually make it be off more than on if it is blocking the sensor). When I move the phone from my ear to end a call the screen will come on then flash off and on a couple times before I am able to push the end call button on the screen. When the phone is to my ear and the screen come on I usually wind up pushing the "mute" button with my cheek. It is annoying and seems to be getting worse. I do not remember the phone doing this when I got it a couple months ago. I have used the otterbox since day two of having the phone. I am getting confused and frustrated with this issue. I will try to go by the apple store next wednesday or thursday and see what lies they will tell me. More than likely try to swap my phone out for one of their refurbed ones in the store. I'll repost with what they say and do.

I just got my iphone, can you advice which case would be better to avoid the similar incident?
thanks!
Hi Joy. I love the gelaskin case as it doesn't add bulk. You muast register in iTunes for the FREE bumper case. That protacts the sides of the phone ahile the gelaskin does the rest. It looks very pretty too. The bumper case program is what it is called though I couldn't find a link for it. It stops the dropouts when your hand come in contact with the metal band round the outside of the phone.