What's new

iPhone 5 goes to screen lock while phoning

ralphdn

Reaction score
I guess this is really a rather trivial issue, but when I am phoning and the screen darkens, the phone of course hides the keyboard screen to avoid my pressing keys with my ear while phoning. When the call terminated, in the past the keyboard or previous screen re-appeared, but for the last week or so it's been necessary that I press the home button to reactivate the keyboard and end the call. I'm just curious since I haven't found a setting and would like to know how to handle the option.

If the screen doesn't come on after you move the phone away from your ear, it's not behaving normally. Maybe the proximity detector is acting up. Have you tried force-closing the phone app to see if it helps?

If the screen doesn't come on after you move the phone away from your ear, it's not behaving normally. Maybe the proximity detector is acting up. Have you tried force-closing the phone app to see if it helps?

ralphdn New Member

Sorry if I'm a bit inexperienced, but the only phone app I have would be a green app which I can't close or do much with other than handle the phone (no close or other functions). Force-closing it sounds a bit scary ...

Sorry if I'm a bit inexperienced, but the only phone app I have would be a green app which I can't close or do much with other than handle the phone (no close or other functions). Force-closing it sounds a bit scary ...
To force-close the phone app or any other app that's misbehaving, double click the home button, then swipe up on the picture just above the phone app icon. This will cause no harm and will not delete any data or changecanybphone settings.

To force-close the phone app or any other app that's misbehaving, double click the home button, then swipe up on the picture just above the phone app icon. This will cause no harm and will not delete any data or changecanybphone settings.

Oh, ok, we do that all the time don't we? Sorry, I just didn't recognize it by name ... I just force-closed the phone (tried it both during and after termination of the call) and then called my mailbox several times and the problem seems to persist, the screen goes black while talking, but unfortunately stays black when I remove the phone from my ear after or during the call, until I press the home button. That's not too much work, but one generally wants to know the reason for changes in the behavior of an app ..

Sounds like your Proximity Sensor may not be disengaging properly. Can you get to an Apple Store to have them run a diagnostic check?

Try a hard reset and see if that helps. To do a hard reset just press the home and sleep buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo then release both buttons. This doesn't erase anything it just resets your hardware. If the problem persists then a visit to your nearest Apple Store would be recommended.

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5c using Tapatalk!