What's new

Satellite or Cell Signal?

airpix

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Google map program on the iphone4 uses satellite or cell tower signals to find its location? Is there GPS built into the phone?

Thanks, Airpix

GPS is built into the iPhone but I believe it uses your network signal somehow.

Some say they can get GPS to work without a signal but for me poor/no signal = poor/no GPS...

Airpix.... good question. I believe I read that the iPhone actually uses the GPS satellites for GPS, but I don't know for sure. It would be easy to test: just turn off your 3G, cellular data, and wi-fi, and see if you can get a current location in the iPhone's "Maps" app. Let us know....

It uses both. I believe it uses the network location at first, which is why when you first open Google Maps the location is a bit off with a large radius, then since the phone already knows where it is it can acquire a much faster GPS lock using satellites, which gives you an accurate location.

It's called a-GPS (assisted GPS). It uses the network location in conjunction with the satellites, supposedly makes it more accurate than using the satellites alone.

The reason a 3G/WiFi connection is needed to show your location in maps has nothing to do with a-GPS though. It's simply because the map data streams over the data connection. The maps are not stored locally.

The iPhone's version of Google Maps can't cache map tiles for offline use? That kind of sucks, that's an awesome feature of the Android version.