What's new

Wifi manager?

Amydaveg

Reaction score
I am new to iPhone, and there is one type of app that I cannot seem to find

I would like to be able to auto toggle wifi depending on my location. Prior apps I used would use the cell tower I was connected to or GPS

does this not exist for iPhone ?

Thanks

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but you can get to wifi easily through the control center. You swipe up from the bottom of the phone. Also, iOS9 added a feature "Wifi assist" which will enable cellular service if the wifi signal is weak. Settings>Cellular>Wifi assist> ON. Beware cellular charges thought..there is a class action lawsuit that this feature should not be "default" since many are experiencing data overages.

I am new to iPhone, and there is one type of app that I cannot seem to find

I would like to be able to auto toggle wifi depending on my location. Prior apps I used would use the cell tower I was connected to or GPS

does this not exist for iPhone ?

Thanks
Are you talking about the iPhone automatically connecting to known WiFi hotspots at various locations? The iPhone already does this automatically, connecting to previously used Wifi hotspots when it encounters them again.

OP, your not going to find an app to do what your looking for in the App Store. Apple restricts apps from accessing anything in the "settings". This is done for security reasons.

However, if you iPhone is jailbroken, there may be a tweak to do what your looking for. Look for tweaks, not apps for what your looking to do, and this only applies if your iPhone is jailbroken.

This is one of the problems I find with my iPhone. Everything is locked for security.

I would like it to connect to certain networks , but only in certain locations.

I have to jailbreak to tweak?

I have a feeling all my work apps will not work, which is the only reason I have an iPhone.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but you can get to wifi easily through the control center. You swipe up from the bottom of the phone. Also, iOS9 added a feature "Wifi assist" which will enable cellular service if the wifi signal is weak. Settings>Cellular>Wifi assist> ON. Beware cellular charges thought..there is a class action lawsuit that this feature should not be "default" since many are experiencing data overages.

Should we leave "WiFi assist" off?

Russ

Yes, if you want to conserve your mobile data, which may be limited according to your plan.

WiFi assist uses cellular data in areas with weak WiFi signal strength. This is why you may want to turn it off, especially if you're on a limited data plan.

Thanks. I found it very simple to turn off. However, I am on an unlimited data plan, so I'm not going to sweat it.

Russ
EDITED

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules No External Links

Known wifi networks are usually in specific areas so that should happen automatically. I keep my wifi on all the time. When I return to an area with wifi that I have already logged in to, it automatically connects. When I leave, it switches back to cellular. When I am leaving a wifi network I do not want it to automatically connect to, I tell it to Forget this Network.