What's new

Samsung scores biggest leap in competition with Apple since first iPhone

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
$apple-vs-samsung1.jpg

It’s official. Samsung has finally managed to “overtake” Apple. According to fresh information provided by Strategy Analytics, the Korean tech giant has shipped 76 million smartphones in the Q2 of 2013.​​This is an increase from the 64.4 million which were posted the previous quarter.

Samsung has also taken the number one position market-share wise, thus maintaining its place. It certainly seems to be a very fruitful year for Apple’s arch enemy so far:

"Samsung grew 56 percent annually and shipped a record 76.0 million smartphones worldwide ... Samsung shipped over two times more smartphones than Apple during the quarter. The flagship Galaxy S4 model experienced solid demand in China and worldwide and helped to lift volumes,” claimed the study.

Apple, on the other hand didn’t fare out so well as its sales have seen a drop from 37.4 million in the first quarter to 31.2 million in the second quarter. Global market share has seen a decline also from a solid 17.9% to 13.6% in the period mentioned above. All in all, Samsung shipped 2.4 times more smartphones around the world than its arch enemy. The figure constitutes a rise of 1.9 times compared to the last quarter.

It is not known how many smartphones Samsung actually sold because the company doesn’t usually share that information, so Strategy Analytics had to estimate that the numbers were somewhere around 76 million and snatched 33% of the total global marketshare.

Neil Mawston, director of Strategy Analytics, commented on the apparent developing trend for Apple:

“Apple’s global smartphone marketshare… is at its lowest level since the second quarter of 2010. Apple is at risk of being trapped in a pincer movement between rival three-inch Android models at the low-end, and five-inch Android models at the high end.”

Is this the beginning of the end?

Source: Forbes

Perhaps the "Is this the beginning of the end?" is a bit melodramatic. Even though Samsung's handset division may have beat the iPhone in profitability in the second quarter, Apple was still over-all the most profitable electronics manufacturer in the world. ;)

Everybody is starting to jump ship to the s4 apple runs so smooth I can't let it go so fast like that

Everybody is starting to jump ship to the s4 apple runs so smooth I can't let it go so fast like that

Agreed. I've been tempted but when I sat and thought it through it didn't make sense to switch for the "gimmicks"

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

I love both samsung and apple.. my tv is a smart tv from samsung, my camera is android jelly bean run, I had the S4 until I sold it (un opened) but might get it again, not to switch but just to enjoy the best of both worlds.

The one good thing is that apple will have to step up their game if they want to stay ahead, so that will hopefully mean more major upgrades for us the customer.

I have to agree. I have two of the Smart TVs from Samsung and I like them a lot. I also recently purchased an S4 as well. I still have my 5 though. It's nice to see the competition and the companies competing like this.

I have to agree. I have two of the Smart TVs from Samsung and I like them a lot. I also recently purchased an S4 as well. I still have my 5 though. It's nice to see the competition and the companies competing like this.

Samsung has the best TV's IMO. I bought a 55" Samsung smart TV a few months ago.
I don't get to watch it much, but I sure as hell enjoy it when I do. :)

I would keep an S4 with the 5, but I hardly use the ip5 as it is... I'd really like
to see what the Note 3 will be like.
That might be worth having as an extra for the "best of both worlds" feel!

Definitely worth the money.

I don't see another company dethroning them for a while. Unless someone comes up with a TV that'll make you a sandwich of course. ;)

Or pour you a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Well I know what I want for Xmas a smart tv !! U guys living the jetsons life