What's new

Samsung Galaxy S 3

A used 8GB unlocked iPhone 4 in great condition can get up $300-$400 easy.

Especially in local areas through sites like Craigslist and what not.

Not gonna get that with the Galaxy.

And that is just the 8GB model.

16GB and 32GB is going to far more then"any" model of the Galaxy.

Heck no. I can buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 16Gb for less than $400. You might see someone listing an iPhone 4 8GB for $400, but there's no way they got even close to that. The current rate for an 8GB iPhone 4 is less than $300.

Last edited:
I won't ever own a samsung device in my life after their recent series of adverts basically attacking iPhone owners. By all means use adverts to show your device as superior to another if you can, but to take cheap shots at the users of another device. You can stick your product, as I say, I will never give Samsung a penny!

Skull One said:
Thank you for making the SAME EXACT point I was using a different analogy.

:) i was not having a pop at you Skull, many make the mistake of seeing high volume sales as an indication of popularity and quality, when often it is a general acceptance of affordability.

I can't afford a set if brakes for an RR let a while car, but i'd live to have one, i'm just fortunate i can afford the iPhone.

This thread is becoming the usual battle between the 2 sets of fanzines, i'd suggest look a little deeper. The constant android OS major updates will devalue the long term value of resale on any Android handset, Apple has released 4 handsets, and updates for all, which allow the earliest iPhone 3 to still run many of the latest app's.

To me thats the real important deal breaker, 18 months away at most, the Current crop of high end Androids will look like albeit still loverly, but likely no more useful than a door stop!

As a former android developer I'd like to make a point about android support. The android market is full of apps. However, if the device stops getting operating system updates the android market on that device will eventually appear empty. Here's why.

Android devices only see apps that are compatible with the version of android running on that device. Android developers regularly re-write their apps to drop support for older versions of android. If a device stops getting OS updates it will be "left behind" because it will no longer see the apps for which developers have dropped support. Carriers typically allow android devices go EOL (end of life) within a year of release. There are some exceptions to this such as the Google phones. I have two devices that were left EOL less than a year after release.

Apple supports the iPhone longer than carriers support android devices. How old is the iPhone 3GS and is it currently running iOS 5?

If you buy a new android device today you better download all of the market apps you want within the first year. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a contract for a device that is seeing a dwindling app market.

Last edited:
ardchoille said:
As a former android developer I'd like to make a point about android support. The android market is full of apps. However, if the device stops getting operating system updates the android market on that device will eventually appear empty. Here's why.

Android devices only see apps that are compatible with the version of android running on that device. Android developers regularly re-write their apps to drop support for older versions of android. If a device stops getting OS updates it will be "left behind" because it will no longer see the apps for which developers have dropped support. Carriers typically allow android devices go EOL (end of life) within a year of release. There are some exceptions to this such as the Google phones. I have two devices that were left EOL less than a year after release.

Apple supports the iPhone longer than carriers support android devices. How old is the iPhone 3GS and is it currently running iOS 5?

If you buy a new android device today you better download all of the market apps you want within the first year. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a contract for a device that is seeing a dwindling app market.

Good clear post,
while i'm not sure if the 3GS can run ios5.x, i believe it can still run the majority of apps made today, as can the 4s run those early apps, place against that at release it was likely the mist e pensive smartphone of the day.

Now we have Androids costing near or more than a 4S, in my opinion either the Android OS writers need to allow apps backwards computability, or Apple stops allowing it to put both platforms in an even keel.

Until then, Apple rules fir me :).

Good clear post,
while i'm not sure if the 3GS can run ios5.x,

It can, I ran iOS 5 on my 3GS.

A note to your previous post, Apple has released 5 iPhones.

2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4s.

The Sensation 4G I'm typing this on was released exactly one year ago, and HTC/T-Mobile has updated it with the most recent version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Mr.Mischief said:
It can, I ran iOS 5 on my 3GS.

A note to your previous post, Apple has released 5 iPhones.

2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4s.

The Sensation 4G I'm typing this on was released exactly one year ago, and HTC/T-Mobile has updated it with the most recent version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I stand corrected, forgot it had 2G. Tends to reinforce the longevity of Apple devices compared to 1st release Androids.

I came from the windows mobile platform, and had several handsets all locked up regularly. I run a small business, being available and responding fast is my keystone. missing just one phone call can be very very expensive in just one lost order.

While i think Android has come a long way, it just has to go a lot further to get my attention as an alternative ti Apple, now we have sadly lost Steve Jobs, i worry the innovation will become stunted and the edge Apple has had thus far, blunted.

No I prefer to keep my iPhone 4 I had the first Galaxy S it was super laggy
Rooted it and over clocked it, it mad it quicker and more responsive but the power drainage was horrible.

Don't forget guys. The SGS3 has a quad core processor. If they put a Razer Maxx battery in it, that would be a beast!

Don't forget guys. The SGS3 has a quad core processor. If they put a Razer Maxx battery in it, that would be a beast!

The GS3 has already been reviewed. It has a 2100mAh battery, which results in average battery life. The US GS3 has a dual core Snapdragon S4 processor instead of a quad core like the international model. I have the same processor in my One S. I think I've said it before, and I'll say it again: a 4.8" screen is much too big for practical use. I think the sweet spot is 4"-4.3".

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

ardchoille said:
Yep, I remember having to keep a dark wallpaper on my Samsung Vibrant to keep from killing the battery too fast. That AMOLED tech is also why android went from bright and cheery in froyo to dark and dreary in gingerbread. I wonder if this is also why Google's native apps keep getting darker with each new release of android.

I actually like the super AMOLED screens better than the LCD with Retina-A display that the iPhone has. The AMOLED screen is much easier on my eyes and the colors pop. The LCD on the iPhone glares way too much, ever with my Visor anti-glare screen protector. This phone will be able to shoot still pics while recording video, first in the world to do so as a mobile device. I'm seriously thinking about selling my iPhone 4S. I can get the iPhone 5 next year with my upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iPF.net