What's new

Samsung Galaxy S 3

I guess the majority opinion here is 'don't do it!!' I know I should take your advice, but gosh, such an attractive phone!!!
It is indeed a beautiful phone. But, it runs android as its operating system and that's like pouring perfume on a pig. lol If you read up on android at Wikipedia you'll see why android is slow compared to iOS.

Android is slower than iOS for a very simply reason. iOS runs all of its code natively. Android runs 95% of its code inside the Dalvik Virtual Machine. That extra layer of complexion means that a 800 Mhz iPhone can out perform a 1.2 Ghz Android phone doing the same exact task.

Have any of u heard if its even coming to Verizon? On YouTube I watched cnet tell us that LTE versions wouldn't be available til December with GSM versions coming after the Europe release. Does that mean Verizon wont get til the end of the year?

spiritwalker said:
S3 seems good.
But if it's rickity and plasticky like the rest I think I'll wait for the 5.

Sent from iPhone

Yeah that's true

I've had 3 different Droid phones and I have a 4s waiting for me when I get home from this business trip.

I'm tired of the hardware and software fragmentation as well as slow OS updates. The screens are just getting too big for my tastes as well . After almost 3 years with Android, it's finally time to say goodbye.

IMO, wait for the 5 and forget about anything that Samsung has to offer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Oh just watching reviews on various sites...and a couple YouTube videos.

Most of the reviewers were Android enthusiast so of coarse they said its the best phone ever...but even the hardcore Android enthusiast said it drains exceptionally fast when browsing the web. Gotta be that quad core processor they claimed.

Do a google search I'm sure you'll find similar reviews.

Actually it's the screen. The AMOLED tech that Samsung uses in its Galaxy line consumes a TON of juice when displaying white as opposed to, say, the IPS LCD screen the iPhone uses. It's just the way the tech works. When displaying a colored or black screen the drain on an AMOLED is practically nonexistent when compared to an LCD screen. I usually just invert the black and white on the browser in the settings and I get mearly 9 to 10 hours Web surfing time on my SGSII. The quad core processor rarely ever fires up cores 3 and 4 until you're gaming or intensively multitasking (like that pop up play video thing that no one will ever use) as the Exynos, and most other quad core processors for that matter scale and turn on and off each core dynamically depending on the load presented. So you can bet that if the iPhone 5 goes quad core(i don't think it will) it will do the same thing probably better lol

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I read somewhere on google last week that the samsung galaxy S2 is better then the S3.

Now i do not like android and would not want one unless they can ever truely compare to an iphone.

I would wait for the iphone 5 and let one of your friends suffer from agony of buying a slow, underestimated, overrated , paper marketed phone.

Now someone in here posted that android has taken a huge chunk in the market. I say the main reason as to why that is, because they are selling at a cheaper price and you pay for what you get is the old saying. You get a cheap, plastic phone with window dressing for comsumers who don't know the truth. Samsung is good at selling crap to comsumers who don't know any better.

Arch_l33t said:
Actually it's the screen. The AMOLED tech that Samsung uses in its Galaxy line consumes a TON of juice when displaying white as opposed to, say, the IPS LCD screen the iPhone uses. It's just the way the tech works. When displaying a colored or black screen the drain on an AMOLED is practically nonexistent when compared to an LCD screen. I usually just invert the black and white on the browser in the settings and I get mearly 9 to 10 hours Web surfing time on my SGSII. The quad core processor rarely ever fires up cores 3 and 4 until you're gaming or intensively multitasking (like that pop up play video thing that no one will ever use) as the Exynos, and most other quad core processors for that matter scale and turn on and off each core dynamically depending on the load presented. So you can bet that if the iPhone 5 goes quad core(i don't think it will) it will do the same thing probably better lol

Yep, I remember having to keep a dark wallpaper on my Samsung Vibrant to keep from killing the battery too fast. That AMOLED tech is also why android went from bright and cheery in froyo to dark and dreary in gingerbread. I wonder if this is also why Google's native apps keep getting darker with each new release of android.

Yep, I remember having to keep a dark wallpaper on my Samsung Vibrant to keep from killing the battery too fast. That AMOLED tech is also why android went from bright and cheery in froyo to dark and dreary in gingerbread. I wonder if this is also why Google's native apps keep getting darker with each new release of android.

I'm honestly not sure. I kind of like the newer Tron look of stock AOSP android. But it would make sense if they did considering how their nexus program works. But this is off topic and I apologize for derailing the thread. Just wanted to address that comment earlier cause quadcore, if utilized efficiently is actually even more power efficient than dual core. And I'm sure that if or when Apple uses it they will prove it.

I have had my problems before on Android as well as iOS. It really comes down to user preference. I like Android for some features Blackberry for others and iOS for different things as well. It really just depends on the person. Every person is different and they will prefer a different phone. That's why all the tweaks, roms and everything else. You can't suggest everything about a specific device til you are blue in the face. It depends on the person and what they like. As far as battery life. People expect too much out of their devices nowadays.

DroidConverted said:
I've had 3 different Droid phones and I have a 4s waiting for me when I get home from this business trip.

I'm tired of the hardware and software fragmentation as well as slow OS updates. The screens are just getting too big for my tastes as well . After almost 3 years with Android, it's finally time to say goodbye.

IMO, wait for the 5 and forget about anything that Samsung has to offer.

Are there any good things you can say about the Samsung phone? I mean I'm so intrigued by it and I'm starting to think maybe I'll just keep my iPhone and get the Samsung in case I wanna switch back. When the iPhone 5 comes out I can always just buy it out right.

Are there any good things you can say about the Samsung phone? I mean I'm so intrigued by it and I'm starting to think maybe I'll just keep my iPhone and get the Samsung in case I wanna switch back. When the iPhone 5 comes out I can always just buy it out right.

I don't like the build quality or the radios of Samsung phones. I can never recommend a Samsung to anyone.

If you have time read some Android forums that discuss the Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S2. You will be able to make your decision pretty easily after that.

I'd say get the s3 and if you don't like it sale it then get the 4s back. I had the nexus and it really was a nice phone ICS was leaps and bounds better than froyo and gingerbread. I just came back to the 4s because it's easier to resale than andriod phones.

hinds90 said:
I'd say get the s3 and if you don't like it sale it then get the 4s back. I had the nexus and it really was a nice phone ICS was leaps and bounds better than froyo and gingerbread. I just came back to the 4s because it's easier to resale than andriod phones.

Will you be getting the S3? I think I'm gonna try it. Like you said, I can always sell it and get the iPhone back. I had a Samsung fascinate once and the lag was awful. Lots of battery pulls and frozen keyboard Stuff. So I'm nervous about the S3. I hope ICS has improved that nonsense. What do u think?

Will you be getting the S3? I think I'm gonna try it. Like you said, I can always sell it and get the iPhone back. I had a Samsung fascinate once and the lag was awful. Lots of battery pulls and frozen keyboard Stuff. So I'm nervous about the S3. I hope ICS has improved that nonsense. What do u think?

I'll be buying it. Skull actually helped me make my decision as to that. Practically it makes no sense for me to buy a 4S right now when the five is pretty much right around the corner. I'll wait for the five (or 6th gen or however you would like to call it lol) to pick it up, and even then I might not replace my SGSIII. I might just take the best of both worlds. Reason being is I have over 200+ paid apps on Android.. And I enjoy much of its functionality that iPhone lacks. Conversely I find that the iPhone is much better for photography and for a few other things.. So like I said lol best of both worlds :p