What's new

[Rumor] Apple is Testing Phablet-sized 6-Inch and 4.8-Inch iPhones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone5_back.jpg

According to a new report, Apple is actually testing the waters on bringing out a phablet sized iPhone device. Apparently, since Apple has been witnessing the trend toward larger smartphones, they are giving it a second thought, and working on a 6-inch test device and a 4.8-inch test device. It's important to note that the folks in Cupertino are only in the testing phases right now. It's possible an Apple phablet device will never see the light of day, but it's worth noting that they are considering it. Here's a quote with more of the details,

As Apple Inc. AAPL +0.60% prepares to unveil both a new high-end iPhone and a cheaper version for the first time next week, it is already working on something bigger.

The electronics giant has begun evaluating a plan to offer iPhones with screens ranging from 4.8 inches to as high as 6 inches, people familiar with the matter say. That would be a sizable leap from the 4-inch screen of the iPhone 5 released last year, and, at the upper end, would be one of the largest on the market.

Such plans signal further that the Cupertino, Calif., company is shifting its smartphone strategy as it searches for new engines of growth, and as competition with Samsung Electronics Co. intensifies 005930.SE +0.29% .

The Korean rival has taken a commanding lead in smartphone market share in part by offering an array of devices at different prices and sizes. On Wednesday, Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Note 3 with a screen measuring 5.7 inches, a size that places the device in a category of hybrid phone-tablets.

It is unclear whether Apple will ultimately choose to follow a multi-size, multi-device strategy beyond shipping a new lower-cost model for the first time later this month. The company often tests different devices and configurations before choosing a course.

What do you guys think? Would you like to try a 4.8-inch or even a 6-inch iPhone? We will keep an eye out for any further confirmation of this, but the info is coming from the Wall Street Journal so it seems very solid.

Source: Apple Tests iPhone Screens as Large as Six Inches - WSJ.com

If Apple wants to regain market share its going to take bigger screens. Thats the direction Samsung has took and look at what it has done for them.

For me it wouldnt be good had a big screen cell didnt work for me to big for pockets or fit in areas in my truck or car thats what i like about the i5 just right and also if i want to watch a video or game have my ipad 2

I can see the need for a 4.8 inch screen. But, a 6 inch screen would seem to be a waste given the size of the iPad mini.

I wouldn't mind having an iPhablet lol.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

I think anything below 5 inch will be ok. If you want it bigger, the iPad mini is there... For me the iPhone 5 is more than perfect.