What's new

Robo, Spam, Scam Relief--Little Things Mean A Lot! Thank you APPLE!

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
Like everyone else, I am inundated with Robo calls, spam calls, scam calls, etc., but I have found some small relief! I discovered a feature on my 8 Plus that allows me to have all unknown numbers go straight to voicemail so I never have to even hear the phone ring! I may not be able to prevent these calls from coming in, but at least I do not have to bothered with them ringing in! Phew! What a relief! Thank you APPLE!! :)

Wanted to mention this for anyone else who may not know about this feature.

It is a great feature, jasassy. Please note, if you bell any of those unknown numbers, the phone will no longer send them directly to voicemail. Belling them changes their status to "known" for purposes of this feature. Any numbers that you happen to have in your contacts will also be "known" whether or not the people at those numbers have belled you and vice versa.

This is great for working around those robo, scam, and other spam calls though! :)

The only disadvantage to this is that you may miss an important call someday. Such as your doctor, auto mechanic,etc that you forgot to put into your contact list. I know it probably won’t happen often but you must be vigilant about your contact list.

Point taken, Moparherb. I will rely on the caller to leave a voicemail if s/he is unable to reach me. Legitimate callers will do that. I even get truncated voicemails from the robo calls! :rolleyes:

Just found this today. Short video about the robo/scam callers, but very informative and worth watching! :)

I get TONS of these calls that show my area code and my exchange (first three digits after the area code) to trick me into thinking a call is someone I know or do business with near me. I long ago stopped answering those calls, but now thanks to the feature on my iphone, I do not even have to hear them ring. It is AMAZING how infrequently my mobile rings now!

blob:https://www.wsj.com/5c5df7ab-235e-4326-8791-8445d54266cf

Man I been getting these calls a bunch lately. Says it’s the Social Security office telling me that my SS number will be suspended due to fraudulent use in TX. They always call with a local number near the city I live in. I block the number and darn if they don’t call from a different number!! I know it’s a scam as when I was recently at the DMV getting an updated ID card with my new address there was a large screen playing that said the SS office will NOT call you!!! They want you to give them your info so they can then use your SS number info and use it illegally!! Just beware if you get a call like this as it’s a big ol scam!

Man I been getting these calls a bunch lately. Says it’s the Social Security office telling me that my SS number will be suspended due to fraudulent use in TX. They always call with a local number near the city I live in. I block the number and darn if they don’t call from a different number!! I know it’s a scam as when I was recently at the DMV getting an updated ID card with my new address there was a large screen playing that said the SS office will NOT call you!!! They want you to give them your info so they can then use your SS number info and use it illegally!! Just beware if you get a call like this as it’s a big ol scam!
They have the same thing in Canada only the scammers refer to the Canadian Social Insurance Number.

Reactions: 933
My 8 Plus sending unknown numbers straight to voicemail has really helped a lot. I do not have the same feature on the very cheap Android mobile. The calls still ring in, and I let them roll over to voicemail where I often find truncated messages. Occasionally, I do pick up, though, and I have been surprised to learn that some of the robo calls sound more sophisticated than they used to do. For example, there is one that calls about a "business opportunity." It is a recording, but it sounds very naturalistic, and at first, I thought there was a real person on the other end of the line. The recorded message begins with "Hi. I know we have not spoken in a long while, but....." I soon realised it was a robo call, but they managed to keep me listening longer than I would usually do.

I think these calls are increasing in number and sophistication. I liken these robo/spam/scam calls to the gold rush in California in the mid 19th century. These criminals are similar to the people who rushed to California to mine for gold. It does not matter that few people ever became wealthy doing so or that only a tiny amount of gold may have been uncovered by some individuals after a lot of labour and other costs were incurred. It is the idea that these criminals "may" find a pigeon or that they once or twice found a pigeon to dupe with these calls. Like the miners, it is enough to keep them going, and the reports of those who have been successful at it are enough to draw in more and more "miners."

Sadly, many people have been conned out of a lot of money, especially seniors. My advice is not to trust any callers unless you know beyond doubt they are people/companies with whom you already have a business relationship, and if you have the slightest doubt, do not speak to them. Call the number you have on file for the person/company to find out if they were trying to reach you for some reason.

As for SS, have you ever tried to get them on the line?? The wait is unreal. If you go to a local office, you are likely to wait hours if not all day to talk to a representative in person, too. I know because I have done it. The government certainly does not have enough people to sit on the phone calling YOU about anything. I tell everyone that using simple common sense will defeat these criminals in many cases.

Last edited:
If I don’t recognize the number...I do not answer. If it’s a legitimate caller, then they can leave a message. Plus my IPhone 8
recognizes Spam, telemarketers ect.
Which is nice.