What's new

Roadrunner settings changed with 8.4 Update, and not by me.

Puzzled

Reaction score
I had the strangest thing happen to my email settings, I believe after the last update. I will try to be brief.

iPhone 6 Plus
iOS 8.4
Email through TWC Roadrunner

Four email accounts (there is a reason so please do not questions of why 4 make this part any responses)

Original setup for all 4 that works beautifully:

INCOMING
Host Name: pop-server.(city).rr.com

OUTGOING
SMTP: mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com

Now, with roadrunner you cannot create additional mailboxes or folders to move emails to like you can with gmail.

The other day I noticed that three of the roadrunner accounts had additional email folders but one did not. It was really weird. I was even able to edit those additional and add other folders. But the fourth remained the same.

I checked the settings and the three with the additional folders and are able to have folders edits now have these settings:

INCOMING
mail.twc.com

OUTGOING
mail.twc.com

Three of the email addresses were changed and the fourth remains the same. Also, now with the fourth I get a message that that email cannot be checked because it is being used on another device. If I have the mail app on my pad open, I get that message when using my phone. Also, the iPad remains as I set it up with SMTP, etc, that was not changed with the update.

There are some other odd things happening that I am not sure of so I will not mention those as I am still investigating and kind of leery to change the SMTP email to the mail.twc.com or change the others back. I need to to to Apple. They will just tell me to contact Roadrunner and they will say go to Apple.

So, the email worked just right before, it happened after the 8.4 update, I did not make the changes. Did this happen, or anything with anyone else's email settings with the latest update?

Does anyone have any idea why or how this happened?

Yes, I did a complete shutdown. I did all the things we are told to do. Can anyone shed any light on this strange occurrence? Thanks.

I have a roadrunner email account. And you can now set up your account so that it is not a pop server account and you can create mailboxes. I will attach pictures of my setting in next post. I need to edit my personal stuff out.

Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,360
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 849
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 911
This is what I found on the TimeWarner site. Remember that is you want to be able to create new mailboxes, switch from pop server.
iPhone/iPad
  1. From Settings, select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. Select Add Account.
  3. Select Other.
  4. Select Add Mail Account.
  5. Enter a Name, Email, Password and Description.
  6. Select Next.
  7. Select POP or IMAP.
  8. Enter or confirm (if automatically set) your account settings.

POP settings:
Account Type: POP or POP3
Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
Incoming Server - POP3 port: 110
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
Outgoing Server - SMTP port: 587
Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address
johndoe@[division].rr.com
[email protected]
[email protected]
Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

IMAP settings:
Account Type: IMAP
Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
Incoming Server –IMAP port: 143
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
Outgoing Server – SMTP port: 587
Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address
johndoe@[division].rr.com
[email protected]
[email protected]).
Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

1. Enter your full email address and password.
  2. Select Save.
  3. Your device will verify your account settings.
  4. If you need to edit your settings, select your email account from the Accounts list.
When I made the switch I lost nothing.

Thank you for the time and effort in your reply, Bear7962. What I was wondering about is why my settings were changed when I updated to 8.4. My goal was not to be able to create the mailboxes. I did not make the changes to my roadrunner email settings. They were all Pop 3 with the smtp outgoing. That is how they were set up. Then I update to iOS 8.4 and the settings of 3 of the 4 roadrunner emails were changed to incoming and outgoing mail.twc.com . I did not do this.

I noticed the additional mailboxes in one of the roadrunner accounts and thought that is odd. Then I went to settings and saw three of four roadrunner emails' settings were changed. It is very odd. I put them back to the smtp outgoing but didn't change the mail.twc.com incoming. Wasn't sure if I was going to have to get out my email passwords and I can't get to the file cabinet right now due to remodelling. I could with a bit of effort, but not interested in doing that right now.

Has this happened to anyone else? When the mail.twc.com was both incoming and outgoing on the three of four email addresses that were suddenly changed to mail.twc.com, the fourth email address that had issues was the one that was not changed to the mail.twc.com. It was just like when I had a Blackberry (please don't start commenting on that). I am not sure I want issues with the email. Everything worked fine with the pop3 and smtp. I don't want messages saying an email address cannot retrieve mail because it is in use on another device. It also prevented emails from being sent. I haven't seen that message since I dumped the Blackberry. The mail app was not open on the iPad but the iPhone said that email address' mail could not be retrieved due to it being open in on another device, which it was not. Blackberry issues revisted.

So, I am a little hesitant to change to mail.twc.com. I had no issues with the Pop3 and smtp. My emails were working just fine. I just want to know why it changed on three of four email addresses and I did not make the change. Very odd.

Bear, your email,set info is extremely useful, but I want to know why my settings were changed when I updated to 8.4. Never had anything like this happen before. My iPad, by the way, did not get any email address changes done automatically when it was updated to 8.4, but please don't start an iPad discussion, just wanted to mention its non-change.

Never had your issue (knock wood). I wonder if TW made some changes. That is why I posted their instructions as apparently those are the setting they want at this time. I do not know if that was a change on their part but I used Google to access their website and on the way did not see anyone complaining about issues after updating to IOS 8.4.

Thanks. Odd they did not catch that 4th email address. Maybe that was inserted into the iOS 8.4 by Apple per roadrunner request. Will have to set them all to that mail.twc.com setting tomorrow and see how it goes. If it doesn't not work well, I can copy the settings from my iPad to set it up on my phone again with POP3 and SMTP, although I had no issues just setting it up on its own before.

Thanks again.