What's new

Resurrecting 4s

mike1

Reaction score
For purely nostalgic reasons, I'm thinking about swapping the battery from my wife's 4s (still good), and put into my old 4s. Considering I currently have an iphone 8, what can I do as far as usage with this 4s without paying another monthly service fee? I know I can text because I've done it. I don't think I can make calls. Any and all suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

For purely nostalgic reasons, I'm thinking about swapping the battery from my wife's 4s (still good), and put into my old 4s. Considering I currently have an iphone 8, what can I do as far as usage with this 4s without paying another monthly service fee? I know I can text because I've done it. I don't think I can make calls. Any and all suggestions and ideas are appreciated.
Anyone?

Connect it to your iCloud ID, and you can sync Photos to it, or listen to your music.
In general, you can do almost the same as with SIM card, when you connect it to Wi-Fi.

The only difference: You can‘t send text messages no non-Apple devices, make phone calls, or other tasks where your service provider‘s network is necessary.

It‘s possible that you have to activate it in order to use it. Here‘s how that can be done: How to activate an iPhone without a SIM card (or Wi-Fi)

Connect it to your iCloud ID, and you can sync Photos to it, or listen to your music.
In general, you can do almost the same as with SIM card, when you connect it to Wi-Fi.

The only difference: You can‘t send text messages no non-Apple devices, make phone calls, or other tasks where your service provider‘s network is necessary.

It‘s possible that you have to activate it in order to use it. Here‘s how that can be done: How to activate an iPhone without a SIM card (or Wi-Fi)
OK thanks for the tips. In it's current state, this 4s doesn't seem to be able to download apps(says these apps won't work on this iphone), and seems incapable of installing software update- it tries to install 9.3.6 but the download and install window just has a spinning wheel. Wondering if the only remedy is to activate?