What's new

Resetting phone vs reinstalling iTunes

Marie86

Reaction score
what if any is the difference between problem solving between the resetting iPhone and reinstalling iTunes? My phone has been switching off with battery remaining . I used the apple chat and was told my battery was fine and to try doing these 2 things to sort it. I don't have access to a computer so have only been able to do the phone reset but I've read the 2 do similar things in problem solving so would it be possible that reinstalling iTunes could help? Also to reinstall iTunes would I lose everything on my phone?

If you don't have access to a computer, you don't need to consider iTunes. It is the phone management software on a PC or Mac.

As far as differences in troubleshooting go, once you have narrowed down the potential for hardware or software being at fault, then you can decide what to do about it. Reinstalling software or resetting hardware is a long way down the chain when diagnosing problems.

It's possible that the battery charge meter is out of calibration. Try running your battery down until the iPhone goes into low power shutdown, then charge the battery fully without using the iPhone while charging. Now run the battery down again to see if the iPhone accurately shows the battery at or near 0% before shutdown.

I have ran it to 0% a few times. It will go to 0% just sometimes needs to be put on charge for a minute for it to stay on. It's normally when battery is getting low it happens like 20% to 30%.

Do you ever use your iPhone in the cold? The iPhone will shut down because of the low temperature even if the battery has plenty of charge left.

It does seem to happen when I'm outside but not often. I have tested it switching it off and on and restarting it when inside and it's not stayed on unless on charge. It only happens like once every few week so easy to ignore. My mum mentioned could it be when an update is waiting to be installed. I do usually leave updates waiting to be installed for a week or so after having problems needing to reinstall iTunes on my iPad after an update failed. I had had the latest update waiting to be installed last week or so which is when my phone has gone off with battery remaining. I have now installed the update to see if it helps. Annoying thing is it's only happening odd times so won't know if it's sorted for a bit.

If you live close enough to an Apple Store you may want to consider a Genius Bar appointment to see if they can discover a reason for the problem with your battery. If you do go, make sure to backup your iPhone before you go, just in case.

Unfortunately I don't live near an Apple Store. I may use online chat again as the second thing they said was reinstall iTunes which I'm not even using let alone having problems with. As I said I'm no where near any where I can take it for that done.

Update I spoke to apple on chat again last night after my phone went off again last night while I was out. They did same test as before and said I need to reinstall iTunes. Not ideal as I don't have a computer it's installed on and don't live near Apple Store, but my mums mate has got iTunes on their laptop so going to let them reinstall it for me later today. It better work.

Change of plan. Spoke to apple again they said it could be fault with battery (surprise suprise) now they have said they will check it over so I need to send the phone to them and wait for it back. Not looking forward to having no phone for few days at all but least it should be sorted then.

Don't forget to backup your iPhone before you send it off.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

Yea they better. May sound stupid but it will be hard going without a phone for few days. Had one so long now just take for granted being able to ring people or text when I'm out, taking photos to send to people on spur of moment, going on internet when I want just to check something. Got games which I play on phone onto iPad so can still go on them and internet when at home at least.

Actually read bad things about apples customer service while chatting to them last night someone had problems with a phone which was 2 days after warrenty ran out and they still had to pay for repair. Which after how they were with me I can understand warrenty has to run out sometime and if they extend it for a day or 2 people could argue they should extend it for 3 &4 days then 6 & 7 days and so on.

For me the warrenty ran out about a week back, but because I told them I have been on chat trying to sort this problem a few times before which was well before warrenty ran out they have agreed to treat it as if it's still under warrenty. Does anyone know what will happen if they can't find out why it's going off or can't fix it? Would I get a new 6s?

If you have a warranty issue that was brought to the attention of Apple before tha warranty ran out you should stilll be covered. Was a service request actually initiated before the warranty expired? This would provide the paper trail to prove that you tried to get your iPhone fixed before the warranty expired.

Yes I had used the apple chat about the problem before the warrenty ran out. I never thought to save the chats though so can't prove them, but did save the chat from last night where they seemed to accept I tried to sort the problem before warrenty ran out.

If for any reason they can't fix it would I get a new 6s?