What's new

Reset to erase accounts & personal details

Bluering

Reaction score
Still waiting for my iPhone 5, I am expecting it in maybe one or two weeks. My iPhone 4 has just been replaced by Apple through Apple care, so it is as new. Now if I want to sell the iPhone 4 when I get the 5, can I reset the phone so that my accounts, apps & songs I bought are removed?

Yes you can. Soon as you confirm that the backup from the old phone is on the new one then you just need to do the following:

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings.

I had to do that last night after I transferred my data from my 4S to the 5.

Yes you can. Soon as you confirm that the backup from the old phone is on the new one then you just need to do the following:

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings.

I had to do that last night after I transferred my data from my 4S to the 5.

I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 with my carrier, so I will be keeping the same phone number. Is the sim card on the iPhone 5 the same as on the iPhone 4?

iPhone 5 uses a new micro SIM. The 4 use a bigger one.

Skull One said:
iPhone 5 uses a new micro SIM. The 4 use a bigger one.

You mean that the iPhone 5 uses the new nano SIM card and the iPhone 4 uses the micro SIM card, don't you?

Bluering said:
I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 with my carrier, so I will be keeping the same phone number. Is the sim card on the iPhone 5 the same as on the iPhone 4?

The iPhone 5 uses a nano SIM card and your iPhone 4 uses. Micro SIM card, they're not interchangeable but you can have your existing phone number put on the new SIM card. I did it myself when my new iPhone 5 replaced my iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 5 uses a nano SIM card and your iPhone 4 uses. Micro SIM card, they're not interchangeable but you can have your existing phone number put on the new SIM card. I did it myself when my new iPhone 5 replaced my iPhone 4S.
yes i did the same,ordered it one day and it arrived the next all ready to be activated.

Thanks, then once you have activated the new nano sim on the iPhone 5 with your existing phone number, the Micro sim with the same number on the iPhone 4 would have been disabled. So, I must reset all the settings on the iPhone 4 before activating the new sim on the iPhone 5?

Thanks, then once you have activated the new nano sim on the iPhone 5 with your existing phone number, the Micro sim with the same number on the iPhone 4 would have been disabled. So, I must reset all the settings on the iPhone 4 before activating the new sim on the iPhone 5?
you can use icloud to back up your old phone then its easy to drop everything onto your new phone,your settings and everything will be transferred,and yes once your new sim is activated the old one will stop working,i rang my network and asked for my new sim to be activated after i had it all set up.

Last edited:
you can use icloud to back up your old phone then its easy to drop everything onto your new phone,your settings and everything will be transferred,and yes once your new sim is activated the old one will stop working,i rang my network and asked for my new sim to be activated after i had it all set up.

If I sync the iPhone 4 with iTunes, then reset all the setting on the iPhone 4, then activate the new iPhone 5 sim before synchronising it with iTunes everything should be restored on the new phone? With iCloud, I have tried to backup before, but because I have so many files and photos, it was taking ages, so I gave up. The only thing which I backup with iCloud is the contacts and notes.