What's new

Resale shop owner puchased an iPhone--lesson learned!

Dragonfly440

Reaction score
We own a small resale shop in a small rural town. We've purchased VHS, DVDs, video games, MP3 players, iPods etc and have sold many such items on amazon.com successfully-no problems ever, until now.

A local gal (a familiar face around town but not on a first name basis), came in a few months ago desperate for $ to pay her rent and offered us her iPhone. It appeared to be HER phone, her photos, and her name, her calendar, etc and stored data verified this. We elected to buy her phone and even offered to resell it back to her if she came in within 45 days. (We are not a 'pawn shop' at all, but took pity on her situation.) We do not normally purchase cell phones, but I was personally considering to buy one myself at the time. It sat on my desk for 2 months. Since she hadn't returned, I decided to see if I could use it. With my inexperience with Smartphones, I neglected to learn the fact that this phone as on the AT&T network and I am a Verizon customer.

So, unable to personally use the iPhone, I turned the phone over to my employee so she could look into selling it on Amazon. While researching this further, she knew enough to check to make sure the phone was clean, she figured out how to restore it, erasing all of Becky's data, and did that, and THEN she called AT&T and asked them to verify that it was 'unlocked" --at least I think that is the term. AT&T told her that the phone had been reported as "Lost or Stolen". Tiffany, my assistant did not know the entire story of our acquisition, so she did not report to AT&T that Becky had sold it to us, but I am planning to call AT&T to report this.

So...now...what options do I have?

What would you suggest I do with this phone?

In the future, what guidelines should I follow if we are ever asked to purchase anymore cell phones?

Thanks for reading my story... I can't wait to read your replies.

Christine

PS..Last night I became the proud owner of a NEW iPhone purchased at Sam's Club for $48 so I will definitely be spending many hours on this forum!! So far the only thing I have figured out is how to transfer my contacts. I'm sure glad I found this website as I need it desperately, it took 5 minutes for me to send a text/photo message today and I am not sure it was actually "sent" yet!

How did you purchase a new iPhone at Sam's Club for only $48? Was it a 4S? I was wanting to buy one for my sister so we can use FaceTime.

Regarding your original question- I think checking if it's another iPhone in the future- I'd verify with Apple. They can tell you if someone has reported it stolen or lost- especially if they've turne on the FindMe app/setting.

A new iPhone for 50???? How that even possible from sams club???????!?!!!!!

The person that sold you the phone probably reported it stolen/lost to get out of their contract.

Candace said:
How did you purchase a new iPhone at Sam's Club for only $48? Was it a 4S? I was wanting to buy one for my sister so we can use FaceTime.

Regarding your original question- I think checking if it's another iPhone in the future- I'd verify with Apple. They can tell you if someone has reported it stolen or lost- especially if they've turne on the FindMe app/setting.

Wat model was the phone?

A lot of big box stores are dropping the prices of their iPhones now. Like the OP said, Sams Club has the 4 for $49 and the 4s for $149. Also, in regards to your first question, like others have said be sure in research the phone before you buy it. That way you will know it is legit before wiping it and trying to resell it.

seneca18 said:
A lot of big box stores are dropping the prices of their iPhones now. Like the OP said, Sams Club has the 4 for $49 and the 4s for $149. Also, in regards to your first question, like others have said be sure in research the phone before you buy it. That way you will know it is legit before wiping it and trying to resell it.

Yeah I didn't c that until too late.

I am still waiting for ideas as to what I can do with this phone now? Can I sell it on eBay? for parts? I don't know what this "jailbreaking" is... What do I do with it NOW???

We own a small resale shop in a small rural town. We've purchased VHS, DVDs, video games, MP3 players, iPods etc and have sold many such items on amazon.com successfully-no problems ever, until now.

A local gal (a familiar face around town but not on a first name basis), came in a few months ago desperate for $ to pay her rent and offered us her iPhone. It appeared to be HER phone, her photos, and her name, her calendar, etc and stored data verified this. We elected to buy her phone and even offered to resell it back to her if she came in within 45 days. (We are not a 'pawn shop' at all, but took pity on her situation.) We do not normally purchase cell phones, but I was personally considering to buy one myself at the time. It sat on my desk for 2 months. Since she hadn't returned, I decided to see if I could use it. With my inexperience with Smartphones, I neglected to learn the fact that this phone as on the AT&T network and I am a Verizon customer.

So, unable to personally use the iPhone, I turned the phone over to my employee so she could look into selling it on Amazon. While researching this further, she knew enough to check to make sure the phone was clean, she figured out how to restore it, erasing all of Becky's data, and did that, and THEN she called AT&T and asked them to verify that it was 'unlocked" --at least I think that is the term. AT&T told her that the phone had been reported as "Lost or Stolen". Tiffany, my assistant did not know the entire story of our acquisition, so she did not report to AT&T that Becky had sold it to us, but I am planning to call AT&T to report this.

So...now...what options do I have?

What would you suggest I do with this phone?

Thanks for reading my story... I can't wait to read your replies.

\

I am still waiting for ideas as to what I can do with this phone now? Can I sell it on eBay? for parts? I don't know what this "jailbreaking" is... What do I do with it NOW???
Honestly... if the phone shows up as Lost/Stolen in AT&T's system. You should go ahead and turn it in to them. It's the right thing to do... and just chock it up as a loss. Definitely use it as a learning experience.. "lesson learned!" as you put it.