What's new

Replacement iPhone 6s Plus getting hot/warm

cs80982

Reaction score
I am having issues with my iPhone 6s plus warming up on regular use and wanted to see if anybody knows what’s going on. I dropped my original one into the water and camera got wet, so I went into the store and got a replacement with AppleCare+ what that’s where all my problem started. The 1stone was getting warm on 15 minutes of internet browsing and gets hot using 10 minutes of video chat. I had to reset the phone as new due to they told me it might be because my backup files is bad. Phone was still getting hot after the new reset, so they gave me a different one. Pretty much same thing is happening with the 2ndreplacement, getting hot with 20 minutes of video watching which didn’t happen with my original phone. For the 2nd replacement, I just set it up as a new phone and the only things I used iCloud for was photos, contacts, calendars. I finally has to take the phone back in yesterday because it got really hot when I was using GPS for about 15 minutes. I wanted to get a brand new one, not one of those refurbished one, but they told me corporate won’t approve that because I am only on my second replacement. If I get another replacement and the issue is still happening, then corporate would more likely to approve giving me a brand new phone. So I got the replacement #3.

The issue is still happening with #3, which either I have really bad luck of getting 3 bad phones back to back or there is something else wrong. Like maybe my profile or something, that’s keeping the chip running more frequently. Apple store told me to turn off back ground refresh/location service, blah blah blah, which I did. Anybody has any suggestion on what’s going on with my phone? Or what else should I try to fix it?

Have you added anything at all to these replacement iPhones? It's virtually impossible that you received 3 iPhones in a row with the same defect. Are you using third party GPS apps and video apps?

Two thoughts come to mind - are you using a heavy protective case of some sort or, and possibly and, using the the phone whilst charging? Both these things could cause warming of the phone.

Have you added anything at all to these replacement iPhones? It's virtually impossible that you received 3 iPhones in a row with the same defect. Are you using third party GPS apps and video apps?

I have Waze for GPS and YouTube for video, sometimes I will watch video using google chrome on some media sites. All this action is the same as when I was using my original phone. I don't think Apple could have 3 bad phone in the two, which makes me think that there might be something else wrong on my profile or iCloud stuff. Is there a way I can see what's running my chip when it's getting hot?

Two thoughts come to mind - are you using a heavy protective case of some sort or, and possibly and, using the the phone whilst charging? Both these things could cause warming of the phone.

No I am not using a heavily protected case, I even take off the case and use it without, but still getting hot. Most of the time when it got hot, it wasn't charging.

Is your screen brightness turned all the way up? Usually, that's not necessary, and it could also be a reason for your problem. Halfway down or even lower is enough in most situations.
I keep mine like this, except when I'm outdoors:
IMG_3390.PNG

Is your screen brightness turned all the way up? Usually, that's not necessary, and it could also be a reason for your problem. Halfway down or even lower is enough in most situations.
I keep mine like this, except when I'm outdoors:
View attachment 32626

Mine is like yours, not all the way up. I usually have mine on auto adjustment.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    364.2 KB · Views: 521
I've turned that off. That feature tends to make my screen too bright, and my device is getting warmer than necessary.

Okay, let me try that and see if that helps. Are u aware of any app that I can use to see what's running on my chip? It always start to warm up on the top right corner and then the whole phone. Apple told me that's where the chip is located and it will get heat up if it's running heavily. They keep saying it's a software issue and I want to find out which software.

You can go to Battery in Settings to see your battery usage for individual Apps for up to seven days.

I use an app called System Status which tracks many aspects of the operation of your iOS device, including how much of the CPU power is being used at any one time.
System Status Lite - CPU, battery, storage monitor by Techet
System Status Lite - CPU, battery, storage monitor on the App Store
IMG_3423.PNG
IMG_3424.PNG

My screenshots are from the pro version of the app, which has more features.

Last edited:
By the way, you can put Waze "to sleep" when you are not using it. Just remember to tap the Off button.

Unless all 3 were returned for battery issues [emoji33], which isn't that unlikely

My 5S gets extremely warm charging and discharging between 68% and 48% every time. Once the charge state is above or below this range it cools off almost instantly. You may have a similar issue/idiosyncrasy. I just think of it as a 'special' feature [emoji849]

By the way, you can put Waze "to sleep" when you are not using it. Just remember to tap the Off button.

Thank you. Didn't know I can put it to sleep, for sure doing that.