What's new

Record video direct to external hard disk drive with iPhone 5

Krenzathal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a way that I can record video directly to an external hard disk drive? Space is always an issue and I don't want to have to clean my phone out every time I want to record something and for the long videos I do I can't just record on the phone and then transfer later, I need to make sure there is plenty of space in the first place.

I figured it would be a pretty straightforward method of hooking the phone up to an external hard disk drive then selecting that as the video save target but there appears to be no option for it which I find pretty odd in this day and age.

Am I missing something or am I limited to just recording to the phone? (Which I find hard to believe!)

Many thanks!

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Krenzathal!

What you're trying to do, is not possible. The iPhone stores videos on the device.
There are a few options to transfer them later, though, like USB flash drives with lightning connectors. It's also possible to use online storage to store videos there.

There are also wireless devices, such as the AirStash, to save videos.

Western Digital's Passport Drive and other wireless hard drives build up their own Wi-Fi, so you can connect them to the iPhone and transfer files. The transfer has to be done after recording, though.

Hope that helps.

Here's some information I just read:
The Leef iBridge allows to save photos and videos directly to the flash drive. The (free) app for using/connecting to the device is available in the App Store.