What's new

Re the Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The supply of sold out items in stores such as toilet paper and disinfectants will increase as the distribution system is restocked. Warehouses were emptied of stock as people bought items at a rate faster than they could be replenished and replacement stock has to be ordered from the manufacturers. Going forward, as purchase limits are enforced, shelves should start to fill up again.

I hope so! I asked the markets how soon this might be, and they all say they have no idea. How long do you think it will take to get the shelves restocked? No one will notify you, so either you have to bell them daily or drive over to take a look. I feel sorry for the people working there. I am sure they are worried about contracting the virus from customers and one another, and the phone just never quits ringing. I would go screaming doolally if I had to work there during all of this.

The last time I was at the grocery nearest my home, I noticed they had put up hard plastic screens in front of the cashiers. Looks similar to what you see in banks, etc. I am sure it is for protection for what might be in the air from a customer.

I work in a large grocery store and we have no real idea what we’re getting every day. We can send in an order but we won’t get everything ordered. My store has installed the plastic guards at the tills and the customer service counter. We get a limited amount of toilet paper and cleaning supplies but they sell out well before closing every day. I buy what I need on my way out the door at the end of my shift, eliminating the need for a separate shopping trip.

I guess I will have to go at the nearest 2-3 markets at the crack of dawn any days I can get there and see what I can find. All I need is a couple of disinfecting products and to stock up on loo rolls. The availability of bottled water has improved slightly, so I am not too worried about water. I plan to order my dog's kibble a week early next month so he will not run out.

As the manager at one market rightly said, if everyone had just shopped as they normally would do, everything would fine as usual. It was the panic buying that hurt everyone who did not try to panic buy. :(

Very informative. After a day of listening to the news, reading papers, etc. We decided on something the lighten the mood... so put on Leonard Cohen :)

Sounds good, NSquirel. There is one man I always turn to in good times and bad. Here he is with his family, visiting with us, answering questions from fans, and opening his heart to us all via this homemade video. :)

One of my favourites from recent years......

Last edited:
On the subject of misinformation, I saw online the following book yesterday
‘Your Homemade Hand Sanitizer: The Easiest 1 Minute DIY Sanitizer Recipes, Eliminate Viruses and Bacteria! by James Covid‘

Not that I would trust any home remedies for hand santisers, I think the surname of the author is just a bit too much of a coincidence. Still, some people will try and sell anything given the opportunity.

Sounds like someone is trying to be funny perhaps? I agree the name is too much of a coincidence. Some books have already been published, though. There is a Kindle book on Amazon entitled "Working From Home: A Covid-19 Guide." I am sure we will see a lot more people trying to capitalise on the situation as the long, tedious, fearful months pass, though.

PBS has been in pledge drive mode all month again, so ironically, there has not been much to watch on telly. Last night I decided to screen that film from some years back entitled "Contagion" on YouTube. It is almost a three hour film. o_O

I waded through an hour or so of it so far. As the art of filmmaking goes, it is a second rate film at best, but I was amazed at how closely it mirrors this emergency with the Coronavirus.

SPOILER ALERT--Do not read any further if plan to screen the film but have not yet done so.

I think the film portrays clueless government officials pretty accurately, and it squarely nails the selfish behaviour of a few people whose own wants and needs must outweigh the wants and needs of the larger society. Of course, I am talking about the oily estate agent whose only thought is to close a deal on a ten million dollar property, so he absconds from the airport during the confusion. Then there is the criminal who is broken out of the hospital by his fellow criminals. Then, there is the absolutely jaw dropping stupidity of the one obnoxious, loudmouthed man who encourages everyone to leave the quarantine because someone there was shot and killed by the criminals as they broke out of the facility, not to mention the rest of the inmates who foolishly follow him. :rolleyes:

The subplots are pretty boring as are the characters themselves, but now that I have invested an hour of my time in it, I suppose I will finish it in bits here and there. I never heard of this film before now and had to wonder if it was a made for telly film or was released for cinema. Considering the film's quality, surely it must have been a made for telly film. That is not to say that I have not screened some really decent made for telly films of course, but this film is pretty forgettable outside of a similar situation in real life such as the one we are in the midst of now.

Last edited:
In March 2018 the BBC produced a program 'Contagion!' about an experiment to show how a flu' pandemic would spread from a source. This was a serious experiment and not to be confused with the Movie. GPS trackers on mobile phones were used to track the people Patient Zero came in contact with and then how the contact spread to others.

————
From www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2018/12/contagion-pandemic
'Contagion! The BBC Four Pandemic creates the first ever life-saving pandemic in an ambitious citizen science experiment for BBC Four, fronted by mathematician Dr Hannah Fry and emergency medic Dr Javid Abdelmoneim.
Whilst Hannah masterminds the experiment and adopts the role of Patient Zero - walking the streets of Haslemere in Surrey to launch the outbreak - Javid finds out why flu is such a danger to society. '

————-
Strangely enough, and I actually think really by coincidence, the first person to have contracted the virus without having been out of the UK went into the Haslemere surgery.

That is a coincidence, NSquirrel. Thank you for posting that link. I am sure that film was/is much more interesting than the "Contagion" film I began watching last night.

We have had so many warnings about this exact same thing, and we have experienced similar outbreaks. I have to wonder why we have not prepared better than we have done.

Not just because of this pandemic, but because of what I have witnessed across my lifetime, I have often wished I had the many and varied skills, as well as the determination and confidence, to become another Richard Preonneke.

Not everyone has the same "standard" symptoms.

My Symptoms Didn't Seem to Match Coronavirus. But I Tested Positive

Meanwhilst, I received a message from a friend that the pet store website is receiving another panic run on pet supplies, including Rx's. If people would stop this panic buying, things would operate as normal. They are forcing others to follow in their steps so that we do not run out of kibble an Rx's and have to wait an unspecified time. Last time, my dog's kibble was delayed by almost a week due to the panic buying. I had to feed him people food to stretch what little kibble he had left. Mind you, he was okay with that, though! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.