What's new

Rapid power draining.....any ideas ?

Bazza19

Reaction score
I recently had a faulty car charger start smoking whilst charging, the phone also got very warm.
From that time the phone will drain from 100% to nothing in 2-3 hours.
I thought I’d cooked the battery so fitted a replacement, this made no difference.
Does anyone know of another component which could have been damaged by the power surge/overheating which could cause the rapid draining

The U2 IC chip may have been damaged. It controls the supply of power to the battery.
Do you know if the U2 IC chip is a component that can be bought and changed or is it integral to a larger component ?
What available component would include the chip

Well, it isn’t a simple procedure. You would have to detach the chip from the motherboard to replace it. Apple do not sell such components, so you would need a recycled or non-OEM one.

Take the iPhone to the Genius Bar at an Apple store and have a diagnostic done. This would tell you exactly what’s wrong with the iPhone. If you still have the original battery, put it back in the iPhone before you go to the Apple store. If Apple can tell you’ve been working on the iPhone, they’ll refuse to help you and won’t repair the iPhone.

Well, it isn’t a simple procedure. You would have to detach the chip from the motherboard to replace it. Apple do not sell such components, so you would need a recycled or non-OEM one.
If I were to acquire a Motherboard is it possible to swap over for a “ competent fiddler “ ?
Can I get hold of one, other than dismantling an old phone ?

They are available from a number of on line websites, but this is quite a complicated procedure.

If I were to acquire a Motherboard is it possible to swap over for a “ competent fiddler “ ?
Can I get hold of one, other than dismantling an old phone ?
One big risk is that the replacement logic board may have come from a stolen iPhone or one that is Activation Locked.