What's new

Massive battery drain

GazNicki

Reaction score
My wife's iPhone 4 has massive battery drain issues. It seems to have got worse on each update.

The phone is currently on 6.1.3 (10B329).

I bought a replacement battery thinking it was that, but no dice. So I then took the OEM battery from my phone and put it into her phone knowing it is a good battery, but in 22 minutes it has gone from 46% to 40%.
This battery drain isn't confined to usage either. Discharge remains the same on standby. The battery doesn't last 8hrs on the phone.

I have checked the apps, and there is only 5 aftermarket apps installed. Phone is connected to wifi 90% of the time. Brightness was on full, now 60% but I do think there is an issue elsewhere.

Phone is not jailbroken. She doesn't want it JB as it will mess up her banking app.

Is there a component on the phone which could be causing the drain, or is this an issue with the 6.1.x updates.

I can honestly say that with each update after 6.0 the battery does last less. Anyone have a similar issue?

It's hardware specific if it's a non-jailbroken phone. Not all replacement batteries are OEM. Just because the distributor says it's OEM, doesn't make it a certified OEM battery in many cases.

The battery in my phone was OEM though, as was her original one. So in the one phone 2x OEM batteries and one compatible battery are draining fast.

Since your battery drain problem was the same with several batteries, your problem is most likely a hardware issue, not a battery issue.

But what part if the phone could be at fault? Is this a main board issue or another component?