What's new

Phone shutting off with plenty of battery

Brentsideways

New Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, new here. I got an iPhone 4 in August and had a battery issue....After about a month my phone would just power off with 30% battery life, then 40%, then 50% and finally 60%. I would go to turn it back on and it would display a battery drain and I would plug the phone into the wall charger and it would turn back on and continue charging from where it powered off. I took it to the genius bar and they replaced it with a new one, now I am having the same problem. I did a reset by pressing the home and power button but to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue? The guy at genius bar said he hasn't heard of it before. I was planning on resetting back to factory settings when I get home from work but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before. Thanks!

A little background:
I only have apps that I use often, about 6 or 7 apps.
Never had contact with any form of liquid
Never experienced the overheating of the phone itself while charging or others.
I close apps once I'm done using them.
I use 3g more than wifi when using the interwebz.
Haven't dropped it or crushed it, etc.
I never leave it on the charger after it reaches 100%
 

bmahony

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
433
Reaction score
6
Brentsideways said:
Hi, new here. I got an iPhone 4 in August and had a battery issue....After about a month my phone would just power off with 30% battery life, then 40%, then 50% and finally 60%. I would go to turn it back on and it would display a battery drain and I would plug the phone into the wall charger and it would turn back on and continue charging from where it powered off. I took it to the genius bar and they replaced it with a new one, now I am having the same problem. I did a reset by pressing the home and power button but to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue? The guy at genius bar said he hasn't heard of it before. I was planning on resetting back to factory settings when I get home from work but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before. Thanks!

A little background:
I only have apps that I use often, about 6 or 7 apps.
Never had contact with any form of liquid
Never experienced the overheating of the phone itself while charging or others.
I close apps once I'm done using them.
I use 3g more than wifi when using the interwebz.
Haven't dropped it or crushed it, etc.
I never leave it on the charger after it reaches 100%

restore it to factory settings when you can does it run on 5.0.1 or other run the battery out completely until it shows less than 2 percent delete all your apps and all e-mail settings take out the sim and start again remove all music and start again

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
 
OP
B

Brentsideways

New Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Cool, thanks BMahoney. It runs OS 5.0.1, now that I think of it it started doing this again after I updated OS. I will try the factory reset tonight when I get home. I can't let it run down to 2% because it is currently powering off at 56%
 

bmahony

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
433
Reaction score
6
Brentsideways said:
Hi, new here. I got an iPhone 4 in August and had a battery issue....After about a month my phone would just power off with 30% battery life, then 40%, then 50% and finally 60%. I would go to turn it back on and it would display a battery drain and I would plug the phone into the wall charger and it would turn back on and continue charging from where it powered off. I took it to the genius bar and they replaced it with a new one, now I am having the same problem. I did a reset by pressing the home and power button but to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue? The guy at genius bar said he hasn't heard of it before. I was planning on resetting back to factory settings when I get home from work but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before. Thanks!

A little background:
I only have apps that I use often, about 6 or 7 apps.
Never had contact with any form of liquid
Never experienced the overheating of the phone itself while charging or others.
I close apps once I'm done using them.
I use 3g more than wifi when using the interwebz.
Haven't dropped it or crushed it, etc.
I never leave it on the charger after it reaches 100%

you might have a phone problem as well if its under warranty tell them you want a new phone as battery was changed already sounds to me like its a software or memory issue when i charge mine i wait until its completely dead and i then charge it overnight again maybe 7 or 8 hour to a charge my phone is 14 months old and never game me an ounce of grief

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
 

bmahony

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
433
Reaction score
6
Brentsideways said:
Cool, thanks BMahoney. It runs OS 5.0.1, now that I think of it it started doing this again after I updated OS. I will try the factory reset tonight when I get home. I can't let it run down to 2% because it is currently powering off at 56%

charge it for 6 hours turn off everything after you fully charge it then if it persists new phone

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
 

bmahony

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
433
Reaction score
6
bmahony said:
charge it for 6 hours turn off everything after you fully charge it then if it persists new phone

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

your i tunes might be off as well delete / reinstall as well

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
 

Marie86

Active Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
132
Reaction score
36
This problem seems common in iPhones of any model. My cousin has iPhone 5s and had this problem until it got to stage the phone wouldn't switch on at all even if on charge. He got battery replaced and is fine now. My 6s has had similar issues but after running it down to 0% yesterday it seems ok now at 20% still on. Does your phone stay on if you put it on charge let it charge like 1% then take it off or does it still keep going off? You may need a new phone.
 

Most reactions

Top