What's new

Radio Shack

iWags

Reaction score
Just left Radio Shack.

What they told me....

My iPhone 3GS (which I got on launch day last summer) is eligible for the trade in. I will receive a $200 credit.

Upgrade/Activation fee is $18 which will show up on my AT&T bill.

The manager said there is no additional costs other than the $18.

They are not taking money for pre-orders...they are processing the paperwork for upgrade and contract and will submit order to apple.

Manager said they are not guaranteeing delivery on the 24th and have been told to tell customers that the window is between the 24th and 27th.

So, I am trading in my iPhone 3GS and getting new iPhone 4 basically for free (only tax). Plus another year of contract...and $18

Can't beat this deal! Sounds to good to be true...not sure what radio shack is getting out of this.

Ok, heading back to the shack to process the paperwork now.

Just left Radio Shack.

What they told me....

My iPhone 3GS (which I got on launch day last summer) is eligible for the trade in. I will receive a $200 credit.

Upgrade/Activation fee is $18 which will show up on my AT&T bill.

The manager said there is no additional costs other than the $18.

They are not taking money for pre-orders...they are processing the paperwork for upgrade and contract and will submit order to apple.

Manager said they are not guaranteeing delivery on the 24th and have been told to tell customers that the window is between the 24th and 27th.

So, I am trading in my iPhone 3GS and getting new iPhone 4 basically for free (only tax). Plus another year of contract...and $18

Can't beat this deal! Sounds to good to be true...not sure what radio shack is getting out of this.

Ok, heading back to the shack to process the paperwork now.

Phil,

I gotta say... with AT&T reducing the contract period for people and Apple allowing all these upgrades, it's a no brainer to switch to the iPhone 4 right away if you can.

With that being said... both of these tactics seem to me that AT&T already knows that Apple is going to pull the exclusive as soon as possible and they are trying to get people locked in for another year before that happens.

Interesting, but a smoking deal none the less.

Sounds interesting, I will be selling my iPhone 3GS on craigslist. Hoping to get $250-$300 to pay for my iPhone 4.

Sounds interesting, I will be selling my iPhone 3GS on craigslist. Hoping to get $250-$300 to pay for my iPhone 4.

If you don't have luck there are companies on the internet that will buy your 3GS as well.

Stopped by my local Radio Shack ( I know the manager) thinking he could help me getting iPhone 4.

He said he was on a conference call with other Radio Shack managers about 1am eastern Tuesday morning (Monday night) and was told Radio Shack is only getting 8000 iPhone 4 on June 24. Since they have 4000 stores, if divided equally that would be 2 per store.

I was there about 1pm today (Tuesday 15th) and he hadn't received any definite method of pre-ordering iPhone 4. Seemed very frustrated over the whole issue and had removed all iPhone 4 advertising from public view.

Stopped by my local Radio Shack ( I know the manager) thinking he could help me getting iPhone 4.

He said he was on a conference call with other Radio Shack managers about 1am eastern Tuesday morning (Monday night) and was told Radio Shack is only getting 8000 iPhone 4 on June 24. Since they have 4000 stores, if divided equally that would be 2 per store.

I was there about 1pm today (Tuesday 15th) and he hadn't received any definite method of pre-ordering iPhone 4. Seemed very frustrated over the whole issue and had removed all iPhone 4 advertising from public view.

Everything you say sounds exactly what happened to me. After I wrote the post this afternoon I went back to the Radio Shack. It was about 1:20, they said orders were open at 1PM.

Anyways, I got there, and the Manager and Associate were very frustrated. Something about entering all the information and then getting a "pin" or something confirmed in their system. Well, they took all my info, worked it through the AT&T website and could not seem to get the pin. I waited around about 1/2 hour and finally they said, they would call me if they could get it entered. The entire process was driving them crazy. The manager was on the phone with other store managers asking if they got a PIN to go through. Out of 5 or 6 stores at 1:45 he only talked to one store that was able to process one.

About an hour later, I get a call saying "Good News" that my order was the fist to go through at the store. They took my name down and I was number 2 on the list. So hopefully if they are only getting 2 per store, I will be one of them on the first day.

I could have eBay'ed it or Craigs Listed it, but I figured it was just a wash, wasn't looking to "make" money on my 3GS. I only need a 16GB as that is what I have now and only have about 10GB used.

Anyways...I am happy...got the new toy on order.

Everything you say sounds exactly what happened to me. After I wrote the post this afternoon I went back to the Radio Shack. It was about 1:20, they said orders were open at 1PM.

Anyways, I got there, and the Manager and Associate were very frustrated. Something about entering all the information and then getting a "pin" or something confirmed in their system. Well, they took all my info, worked it through the AT&T website and could not seem to get the pin. I waited around about 1/2 hour and finally they said, they would call me if they could get it entered. The entire process was driving them crazy. The manager was on the phone with other store managers asking if they got a PIN to go through. Out of 5 or 6 stores at 1:45 he only talked to one store that was able to process one.

About an hour later, I get a call saying "Good News" that my order was the fist to go through at the store. They took my name down and I was number 2 on the list. So hopefully if they are only getting 2 per store, I will be one of them on the first day.

I could have eBay'ed it or Craigs Listed it, but I figured it was just a wash, wasn't looking to "make" money on my 3GS. I only need a 16GB as that is what I have now and only have about 10GB used.

Anyways...I am happy...got the new toy on order.

WhooHoo! Congrats on your order!

When I was at my Radio Shack mentioned earlier, part of their confusion was also the "pin" number. And they said the same that no other stores at the time got the pin number to work.

They also said that the trade in of a 3GS for $200 was for a $200 RS store credit and they weren't sure if it could be applied to the iPhone 4 purchase. ??? Of course I'm sure there are ways around it. ;)

If you don't have luck there are companies on the internet that will buy your 3GS as well.

Would be interested in knowing what companies those might be just in case our 3Gs phones don't sell over ebay or craigslist.