What's new

Question re: deleting corrupt files stuck in "Other" without restoring??

GadgetGuru72

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

So, my iPhone is kind of a pain. Every couple of months while trying to sync new music from iTunes, it will get stuck in the "waiting for items to transfer" stage and just hang forever. If I kill the sync, the music files remaining on the phone become corrupted.

What I have done in the past is use a program like DiskAid or iFunBox to manually go in an delete the contents of the "Music" folder, and then go back to iTunes and put all my music back. This typically works, and I've been forced to do this about 3-4 times.

Well, it happened again, but with a new twist. This time, when I went to delete my 40GB of music, rather than just deleting it, it now shows up under "other" when I connect to iTunes. So, I now have 42GB of "other."

If I look in the general settings, it shows 0 songs. The music player shows no content. But, the available space on my phone is only 1.5GB because it thinks there is 42GB tied up in "other."

I connected back to DiskAid and iFunBox trying to find that 40GB of apparently corrupted music files, but I can't seem to find it.

So, my question to the group is ...

Is there a way to find and delete this 40GB of apparently corrupted music files *WITHOUT* doing a restore?

I know that I can restore from my most recent backup, but in an ideal world I'd rather not do that. I've been on vacation the last couple weeks, and if I do a restore from my most recent backup, I will lose the progress I made on a bunch of games.

I'm obviously perfectly willing to lose that progress and do a restore if it's my only option, but I wanted to post this question and make absolutely sure there are no easier methods.

I am not jailbroken, and have no desire to be, so options that require a jailbrake won't work for me.

If it matters, I am using the iPhone 5, with the latest iOS, the latest version of iTunes, and a Windows 8 machine.

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!!