What's new

Question on Transfering Upgrade for iPhone 4

hmm I'm actually using my brothers upgrade who has data packaging(droidx) in which I'm curious if i'll have to deal with him or how it would work now.

That's another problem is my uncle doesn't have the data package and it would be terrible if he somehow got stuck with it.

Verizon told me you will have to have the data package to activate the phone. Maybe they will prorate and remove the data package after you switch it out. They said there is no problem removing it after it is active.

So what me and my brother are doing is(hes away at college)

Ill get the phone at home and then activate it.
His phone will be inactive for whatever time(its his upgrade, droid x)
And then I will go online and activate the iphone on my number
and then it will be good to go

Is that what the process is?

I was told when I asked about using a family member upgrade to just call customer service with both phones in hand and they would be able to walk me through everything. I am not sure if you have to activate it on the actual line but that would seem pretty pointless.

Its not pointless because if you call them your doing the same exact thing you would be doing online/VZWs website

No need to call them for that. You can do it yourself by just dialing *228 from whatever phone you want to activate.

You can also do it online by going to "Activate a device" and typing in the ESN number. Both are very fast and easy.

No need to call them for that. You can do it yourself by just dialing *228 from whatever phone you want to activate.

You can also do it online by going to "Activate a device" and typing in the ESN number. Both are very fast and easy.

So, I could do all of this without getting my uncle involved? I'll be using his upgrade.

So, I could do all of this without getting my uncle involved? I'll be using his upgrade.

Well maybe but your situation is a little different since he doesn't have the data package. But I'm sure you could easily do all this but I'm thinking you'll have to cancel the data plan. Just my opinion

Do you know if I actually have to activate the iPhone using my uncle's number, or can I just activate it to mine when it arrives? I talked to a verizon rep and they said it shouldn't be a problem canceling the data plan on his line but she didn't really know the process for transferring iPhone upgrade.

My understanding is that your ordering it on his upgrade so when it arrives and activate it you'll have to activate it on his number, then go online or call and switch the numbers/activate it on your number.

Isn't hard at all just I hate that they wont allow buddy upgrades at the very beginning

Best thing to do is call Verizon and ask. I'm pretty sure you can activate it on any line you want, since you'll be receiving it in the mail unactivated.

But yes when you order it, you'll have to add the $29.99 data package to his line along with the phone. However, I think his does not go into effect until you actually activate the phone. So if you just activate the phone on our line instead, and immediately cancel the data plan from his line, you should be fine.

Again, call customer service and ask what to do. They're usually very helpful.