What's new

question about upgrading FW on a 3G iPhone

MacGuyver

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a jailbroken Iphone 3G running FW 4.2.1 , I wanted to download an app from the app store but it said I needed to upgrade to a newer FW to do so. I'm new to the whole jailbreaking thing, and since I wasn't the one that did the jailbreaking the first time I didn't want to turn the phone into a brick.

So, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to offer a bit of advice on what steps I need to take in order to upgrade the FW safely.

What do I need to back up , which programs I need to re-jailbreak if I will lose the jailbreak after upgrading the FW , which FW should I go to etc?

Basically , anything you feel I should be aware of before going ahead with the update of the FW.

any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.:)

Hi everyone, I have a jailbroken Iphone 3G running FW 4.2.1 , I wanted to download an app from the app store but it said I needed to upgrade to a newer FW to do so. I'm new to the whole jailbreaking thing, and since I wasn't the one that did the jailbreaking the first time I didn't want to turn the phone into a brick. So, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to offer a bit of advice on what steps I need to take in order to upgrade the FW safely. What do I need to back up , which programs I need to re-jailbreak if I will lose the jailbreak after upgrading the FW , which FW should I go to etc? Basically , anything you feel I should be aware of before going ahead with the update of the FW. any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.:)
I'm afraid I have bad news for you. The latest available iOS version for the iPhone 3G is iOS 4.2.1. If you want the newer apps, you'll have to get a newer iPhone, your iPhone iOS cannot be upgraded.

I see, no problem.

It was just an app I watched a youtube video of, I wanted to use it to transfer my contacts to my new 5S iPhone. I pretty much did them all now manually, anyway.

thanks for the reply.

Last edited: