What's new

Question about iMessage

duboisbrian

Reaction score
okay i have searched all over online but have found nothing

my question is

I have unlimited text (no pic or video message) but I do not have unlimited data.

i do like i message for sending pics and video messages for FREE only if im over wifi.

My problem is if someone has imessage it forces me to send a message over imessage and use my data, why would i want to waste my data when i have free texting,

i like imessage but only wanna use it on wifi (send pic and video for free).

i know i message uses like .02 or .2 kb of data but that not the point i why would i wanna be forced to waste data when i have free texting and i have a cap on my data

and does anyone know how much data is used when sending a pic or video threw i message ? will it be the same as a text .2 or .02 kb

personally i think there should be an option to switch i message to only be used on wifi or disable it if your on 3g

for those that have free texting and capped data

anyways hope to here some answers on my questions thanks

duboisbrian said:

my question is

I have unlimited text (no pic or video message) but I do not have unlimited data.

i do like i message for sending pics and video messages for FREE only if im over wifi.

My problem is if someone has imessage it forces me to send a message over imessage and use my data, why would i want to waste my data when i have free texting,

i know i message uses like .02 or .2 kb of data but that not the point i why would i wanna be forced to waste data when i have free texting and i have a cap on my data

and does anyone know how much data is used when sending a pic or video threw i message ? will it be the same as a text .2 or .02 kb

personally i think there should be an option to switch i message to only be used on wifi or disable it if your on 3g

Easy...turn iMessage off when not connected to wifi...no data just text...

how is that easy lol

i walk into my house and everytime i turn imessage on lol

thanks for the reply but your answer is not practical

there is a an option that your data turns off when in roaming so u dont get charged roaming data

so according to your answer they don't need that they would just expect everyone to turn off data every time they cross the border ?? NO they created that option because they no it's not practical

I agree some extra steps to do but is it really that hard? If it is that big of a concern for you and all

Your question was about iMessage & data usage wasn't it? It wasn't about roaming. So if you're on a tiered plan and dont want imessage to use your data turn it off and use your unlimited texting. Am I right? Or is it that hard to understand

u didn't read. i said i dont have pic and video message which is the part about imessage that i like cause when im on wifif i can send video and pic messages for free

duboisbrian said:
u didn't read. i said i dont have pic and video message which is the part about imessage that i like cause when im on wifif i can send video and pic messages for free

Never mind. .

Why would you want to waste data when you can do it over wifi FREE. But free texting isn't the problem. And just so you understand you can turn OFF iMESSAGE WHEN YOURE OUT AND TURN IT BACK ON WHEN YOU GET TO YOUR WIFI.

it's called the off switch.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, what is is imessage? Is it MMS, because I use MMS often, but I have 2gig data and I can hardly kill that.

Bluering said:
Pardon my ignorance, what is is imessage? Is it MMS, because I use MMS often, but I have 2gig data and I can hardly kill that.

iMessage is the new messaging system between iOS devices. It's comes preinstalled on any iOS device running iOS 5 and only works with other iOS 5 users.

icrank so your solution to imeassge for forcing you to use data even if you have a free texting plan when on 3g BUT wanting to no turn off imessage becuase i like it when im on wifi for send pic and video message

is to turn off and on imessage every time i come and leave home lol

like i said before that is not the answer none is going to do that that not practical

that's like saying the issue of being across the border and not knowingly being charge roaming data they would just expect everyone to turn off data every time they cross the border THEN BACK ON EVERY TIME YOU CROSS BACK IN?? NO they created and option that turns off data when your roaming.

BECAUSE switching something off and on everyday is NOT PRACTICAL AND IS NOT THE ANSWER !

you should reread the first post and make more educated answers

Last edited:
duboisbrian said:

my question is

You think there should be an option but there's not. Which leaves you with the option iCrank said turn it off when you leave the house. It takes like 5 seconds of your life....not really a big enough deal to get so worked up about...

Wow, kind of hostile towards iCrank. Your issue is not his fault and he did provide with a solution and most likely the only solution. Sorry you do not like the answer

You want Apple to build in a parameter, lobby them. Nothing we can do.

BECAUSE switching something off and on everyday is NOT PRACTICAL AND IS NOT THE ANSWER !

you should reread the first post and make more educated answers

Maybe is not practical but if is the only solution then what else you can do.

I was just perusing the web looking for instructions for sending video in iMessage, happened upon this discussion. I think many have misunderstood Mr. Dubois and my quick 2 sense ;) I agree with him that most answers are not practical. Also agree that should I be wrong, then it is what it is and you (we) gotta get on with this step toward OS perfection, happy with the BBS competition provided by iMessage and turn it on and off manually. That being said, below is a clip from my web travels and I think* this may be the built in solution to the issue:

Once iMessage has verified your email address, you’re brought to the Messages settings screen. Here, you can enable or disable iMessage altogether; turn on Read Receipts, which lets others see when you’ve read their message; or allow the Messages app to send your text as an SMS if iMessage can’t get through. This applies to the iPhone only. Disabling this setting prevents your phone from automatically reverting to SMS—and racking up texting charges—should iMessage fail. It doesn’t, however, disable SMS entirely.)
Other settings let you choose the email address or addresses you’d like people to be able to reach you at. (You can associate multiple addresses.) There’s also an SMS/MMS section, which allows you to enable or disable MMS Messaging (iPhone only), Group MMS Messaging (iPhone only)
, Show Subject Field, and Character Count (iPhone only).

Hopefully, should you disable MMS, then it will not use your data while away from WIFI and once connected to a WIFI signal it will allow for data intensive messaging.

I hope this helps. I hope it doesn't offend.

One.

* in a manner of speaking.

Last edited: