What's new

Push Notifications

stuberger

Reaction score
Okay, just what is this "Push" notifications? Been reading about battery life and this comes up. Also, I read not to set up a email account as a Exchange which Apple store did set one of my accounts up like that, which was stated is also a battery hog, if this is true? And if so, is it easy to change from a Exchange to regular email?

Push notifications are just that, they get pushed to your device as soon as they arrive. If you choose pull you have to open the app and pull the data from the server by refreshing.

I just read Push is Apples way of Multi-Tasking.

If youre only gonna get a couple/few emails per hour push email will NOT kill your battery. I have mine on Push through exchange, and with moderately heavy use I easily get through the whole day with about 30-40% at the end. And the point of push is not to set everything to push, or set nothing to push, its moderation, use it for what you NEED.

Some of the people who get "Great" battery life use their iPhone as a dumbphone. I.E they tell you to turn off 3G, wifi, lowest brightness, everything to manual update, etc.

I have email, ebay and Chase bank set to push, auto-brightness at 50%, and leave 3G and wifi always on, and get an easy day out of my battery with about 6-7 hours of usage time and about 30% battery left.

I agree..I use my iPhone how I am guessing it was designed to be used, as a Smart Phone. I can deal with some battery drain for the features it offers!

I agree..I use my iPhone how I am guessing it was designed to be used, as a Smart Phone. I can deal with some battery drain for the features it offers!

It is really all up to yourself how you want it setup...i dont use push notifications because i never get any e-mails that i depend on getting right away, when i open my e-mail then i want the e-mails to show up...now if i am waiting for that one really important e-mail or that bid info from ebay...then i turn notification on.
The iphone was built to be able to do both if not you would not have the option.....it all depends on what you are using your phone for....everyone is different....i prefer great battery life....because if suddenly my life depended on me being able to use my phone...i rather miss that e-mail, but be able to use the phoen to call......Personal Preference...Really

I agree with everybody else. You can't tell a difference in battery life if you use the push notification feature in moderate use. I only use push for email and I can't tell the difference in battery if it's off or on (I only get a few emails a day btw).