What's new

How to make Push work with iOS5? Emails not appearing in lockscreen

Like Wilko, and i said, its the iCloud server. 4 million people have an iPhone 4S in the past 4 days, and I bet 90% of them are setting up their mail. iCloud im sure is smashed! But apple will clean it up soon, I'm sure.

That would explain it, except that it's working perfectly for some and not at all for others. There's more at work here than meets the eye. I did find the following thread on the Apple Support Communities forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16418108#16418108

Very interesting. I get most of my mail thru hotmail, with gmail second and me.com a VERY VERY distant third. It is possible that since I use me.com so infrequently during the day, that I could be getting delayed notifications and not be noticing it. I would notice any issue with my hotmail and gmail accounts because my PCs at work and home are both linked to those account. And it is like clock work when the PC chimes that the iPhone chimes within 1 to 2 seconds later.

The good news I think we can take away so far is that iOS 5 has been designed to do it properly, but that their servers are now the problem. Which is correctable. But I am rather shocked that they weren't ready for this influx of people.

That would explain it, except that it's working perfectly for some and not at all for others. There's more at work here than meets the eye. I did find the following thread on the Apple Support Communities forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16418108#16418108

Well yeah, iCloud isn't just one server, I'm sure there are many, just like gmail, msn, yahoo, and any other email service.

Think of it this way. Has anyone used a blackberry before? Well you have to sign up for BIS (blackberry Internet service) and pay extra to use it, without BIS servers, no blackberry would ever retrieve their mail. Apple use to charge for a membership (aka server space) on MobileMe, which can kinda be looked together as one in the same, BB never has problems with their server, cuz, for one, they been doing for so log, and two, they don't get very many subscriptions to BIS as apple does, so they hardly have problems even if their servers die all the time.

BIS checks for you email in this way:

BIS checks for mail in 5 cycles of 3 mintues (equaling the 15 minute cylcle) then it goes back to 15 minute cycle. For example:

BIS checks the account when it is set up.
BIS doesnt find email.
BIS checks back in 15 minutes.
BIS finds email.
BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS finds email.
BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS checks back for mail in 15 minutes.
and so on and so forth.

this is not for gmail/yahoo/carrier.blackberry.net accounts

With these accounts there should be little to no delay from receiving the email to the notification on your device. BIS checks continously on gmail and yahoo, and since there is no mailbox for the carrier.blackberry.net account (the device is the mailbox) it is instant.

Anyway, this isn't about BB or BIS but it was a 'for example'.

In apple server room is hundreds of servers that help us all get our mail, fair enough to say, right? And if it wasn't for those servers, none of us would get mail on our iphone, right? Servers die all the time, and its safe to say some may experience a lil difficulty retrieving mail cuz if 1 server dies, and it was hosting (for example) 10,000 people's email accounts, those other servers have to compensate and work just a lil bit harder to retrieve mail, and push it to your iPhone. Without apples servers, mail wouldn't be possible on your iPhone through a native app.

It's fair to say, that the servers are a bit over ran ATM, and some of us are experiencing some issues.

Sorry I cant explain it better, but I just dont know how without writing a book. :-/

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.462169,-111.990744
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Well yeah, iCloud isn't just one server, I'm sure there are many, just like gmail, msn, yahoo, and any other email service.

<snip>

Sure, I understand that there's more than one server involved. I guess if each individual got assigned to a particular server and that server was having problems, then only those who were on that server would have issues and everyone else would be happy campers. But if it's a distributed load, with e-mails being assigned to a server at "random" then I would expect occasional problems for all, but never continuous problems for one. I don't fully understand how the systems works, so I can't hazard an educated guess at why push doesn't work at all for some, but works fine for others. Could it be server related? Absolutely. It would be nice to find a solution that works, but it could be okay if I knew for sure that it was on Apple's end.

Last edited:
Sure, I understand that there's more than one server involved. I guess if each individual got assigned to a particular server and that server was having problems, then only those who were on that server would have issues and everyone else would be happy campers. But if it's a distributed load, with e-mails being assigned to a server at "random" then I would expect occasional problems for all, but never continuous problems for one. I don't fully understand how the systems works, so I can't hazard an educated guess at why push doesn't work at all for some, but works fine for others. Could it be server related? Absolutely. It would be nice to find a solution that works, but it could be okay if I knew for sure that it was on Apple's end.

I do wish Apple let us know about everything going on. It would be super convent for us all. But also might make us all worry or ask questions, and send them a lotta emails. Probably something they wanna avoid. Haha.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.498962,-112.083330

i hope you got it all sorted out by now, but if not.

try Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data (make sure push is turned ON - and set a time limit for when you want the emails retrieved), and that should work. my emails show on my lock screen all the time, with the same settings enabled.

also, try Settings > Notifications > (scroll to Mail) Mail > (make sure notifications Center is ON, then make sure View In Lock Screen is ON

hope this helped!

I get no more notifications from Google pushed mail but the email does appear when I start the mail app. It is NOT the 4s. I know this because I still have my 3g with the old IO and it has the same exact scenario. So, it's either a Google issue or a cloud issue. Please post if a cure is discovered. Thanks!

I do wish Apple let us know about everything going on. It would be super convent for us all. But also might make us all worry or ask questions, and send them a lotta emails. Probably something they wanna avoid. Haha.

That's for sure. The problem is that they never want to admit when they have a problem, but somewhere down the road they release a bug fix update or things just magically start working. A little communication would go a long way.

That's for sure. The problem is that they never want to admit when they have a problem, but somewhere down the road they release a bug fix update or things just magically start working. A little communication would go a long way.

Lol. What?? apple is 'NEVER' wrong!! Always right, duh!! everyone knows that! LOL.

True a lil communication would go a very, very long way. &#128077;

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.462172,-111.990718

I am not jailbroken. Please download "System Status" by Jiri Techet. But I would recommend waiting at present. The developer likes to play this game where he changes the price every day to cause it to show up in AppBzr and AppShopper as a "reduced price". It is currently $2.99 but it should fall to $0.99 in the next 2 to 4 days.

The first thing I learned to do under iOS after spending 13 months on Android as a custom ROM consultant and developer was to figure out how to tell what was going in iOS. This is the main tool I use to show me the memory, applications and processes that are running.

I have downloaded the System Status App since the price changed to $0.99 today. Also today push started working and according to System Status the same time it started working a previously unlisted process is running (MobileMail). However the mail app is not running in the background.

Last edited:
I have downloaded the System Status App since the price changed to $0.99 today. Also today push started working and according to System Status the same time it started working a previously unlisted process is running (MobileMail). However the mail app is not running in the background.

Very interesting. I will have to do some tests to see what event triggers MobileMail to load into the User Memory Space and execution cycle.

What do you think about the app overalll?

Very interesting. I will have to do some tests to see what event triggers MobileMail to load into the User Memory Space and execution cycle.

What do you think about the app overalll?
I like it, it gives a lot of detailed info about my device. I really like to be able to view what is running and how much memory is in use especially.

One thing that triggers it is running the mail app. I found this out just now when I read an email and closed the app. System status changed the runtime of MobileMail back to o mInutes.

Last edited:
Also today push started working and according to System Status the same time it started working a previously unlisted process is running (MobileMail). However the mail app is not running in the background.

Posted too soon. Push is not very reliable after reading message(s) and closing the mail app push doesn't work unless phone is rebooted.

Hi there, I am also having problems. I've added 3 accounts. I get push notifications from ICloud and Hotmail, but not from Gmail.
I looked in Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Fetch New Data/Advanced. ICloud allows push and so does Hotmail. But, Gmail only has the option for Fetch or Manual. Can anyone else confirm this?