What's new

Push Notifications

wsimkovich

Reaction score
I am new here so if this is posted in the wrong place please direct me to the proper. I have an Iphone 4s and one day I enabled push notifications. What a mistake that turned out to be! If I am in call I cannot hangup the call until I dismiss all emails that were received during the call! I have set my email accounts back from push to fetch and have removed all items from the notification center. I have restarted my phone several times and yet new emails are still pushed! I have set new email alerts to none. Please help before I make this thing fly into a wall! Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

Thanks xrayeyes. That seems to be working for now but its just a work around, it should be working properly like it did before i enabled push. Maybe they fixed this in IOS6, release day is today at 10:00am PT. Wish me luck!

I tried what xrayeyes suggested, then today I installed IOS6. Now when I hit the mail icon I get a push notification for each new email! Not sure which is worse!

I wonder if you truly understand the differences in push, fetch, and manual? For push, your mail will be sent to you phone when it arrives on the mail server...immediate. This means e-mail notifications constant on your phone as you receive them.

Fetch is set to a determined timing. 15 minutes, 30 minutes, hourly. This means that your e-mail will arrive on that set interval.

Fetch>manual means that the individual e-mails will arrive only when you hit the icon.

Make sure you haven't inadvertantly set mail to fetch in the "advanced" settings. Mail>Fetch>Advanced

I am not sure why you would be having an issue with this, but I would just leave it on manual if the notifications are bothering you during calls and such.

Also..try a hard reset which will sometimes get rid of little "bugs" with OS issues. Press the power button and the home button at the same time until the apple logo appears. disregard the power off slider and wait for the logo. When the logo appears, release both buttons and wait for reboot.

I have done the hard reset several times with no change. I just looked in Mail>Fetch>Advanced and both email accounts are set to "Manual". This didn't happen until i enabled push one day. cant seem to get it to revert to the way it was even though i have restored all settings to the way they were. I checked on my wife's phone and all my settings are the same as hers but she does not get the annoying notifications. I get a box in the middle of the screen with the senders name and subject and two buttons, dismiss and read. One for each new email.

You actually use your phone to make phone calls with?

Anyways I haven't noticed any issues with push notifications.

I have done the hard reset several times with no change. I just looked in Mail>Fetch>Advanced and both email accounts are set to "Manual". This didn't happen until i enabled push one day. cant seem to get it to revert to the way it was even though i have restored all settings to the way they were. I checked on my wife's phone and all my settings are the same as hers but she does not get the annoying notifications. I get a box in the middle of the screen with the senders name and subject and two buttons, dismiss and read. One for each new email.

That has been a function of iOS for a while...the read or dismiss. It's not a bug or error. It pops up when you start another function before all of the mail has loaded. Just wait for your mail to load and then go on with other functions after that.