What's new

Production is Cut for iPhone 5C Because the iPhone 5S is Outselling it 8:1 in China

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
5s-5c-price.png

It turns out the affordable and colorful plastic version of the iPhone isn't very popular, especially in overseas markets. In fact, sales of the iPhone 5C are so low, Apple has cut their production levels for the new device. Apple had Pegatron cut their 5C production by 20%, and Foxconn by 30%. Supposedly, one of their other unnamed suppliers had component orders cut by 50%. Apparently, in China, one of Apple's biggest new markets, the iPhone 5S is outselling the iPhone 5C by a factor of 8 to 1.

This trend has been borne out at the retail level as well, with multiple different companies discounting the iPhone 5C to try and get it to move. Keep something in mind though. Just because the iPhone 5C isn't doing so hot, doesn't mean bad things for Apple at all. The iPhone 5S is still selling like hotcakes, and retailers are having a difficult time keeping any of the gold-colored iPhones in stock. This just means Apple will be able to retool for the future and get a more accurate read on how many of the iPhone 5C to produce.

Source: UnWiredView

The 5C is a bit unnecessary in my opinion as its just a plastic housing for the 5 with different colors. Functionality and interior is almost identical of that to the 5. Why break away from the 5 to the 5C when the only difference is the color when you can go for the 5S for an upgrade.

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk

Personally I feel there is a niche market for the 5c and Apple over-estimated. That niche market ... anyone under the age of 20 that feels entitled to own an Apple product without the responsibility that comes with owning a higher end 5s. Yes, I said it ... Those teens and Tweens that some how manage to break and misplace things all the time. I also think the niche market includes newbies who are getting an Apple for the first time and might still be on the fence or just don't want to make a commitment yet.

The goal of the 5C was to have a low budget device on the market rather than the conventional $599 MSRP for non-US countries that have to pay the MSRP for all devices. If you were to capture the essence of a budget iPhone, you have to give to get. If you're packing the same iPhone 5 into a colorful shell and tweaking the interior a little to fit a plastic housing, then dropping $50 off of the MSRP, they may as well go for the 5 or upgrade to the 5S.

price for iphone 5c is hardly a "budget" or "affordable" phone.

being only 100 less than the latest and greatest, why would any one want a 5c? just throw a case on ur iphone 5.

price for iphone 5c is hardly a "budget" or "affordable" phone.

being only 100 less than the latest and greatest, why would any one want a 5c? just throw a case on ur iphone 5.

The iphone 5c will cover more frequency bands as opposed to the iphone 5. When i was traveling in china iused a china unicom prepaid sim, but i don't think i ever got a 3g connection on my iphone 4 from att

The iphone 5c will cover more frequency bands as opposed to the iphone 5. When i was traveling in china iused a china unicom prepaid sim, but i don't think i ever got a 3g connection on my iphone 4 from att

good point, forgot the iphone c is geared as a "world" phone as well. but i still dont think it should be dubbed as a budget phone.

an example of a budget phone, imo, would be the google nexus. unlocked and can be had for 250-300 with no contract. def a great buy.

Okay, but iphone apps don't as yet run on android unless there is a translator app. I needed china train app to help me find routes and times since i don't read mandarin. I have an old china timetable app that seems to have vanished from itunes it gave the stations in mandarin and english helped me out alot when i was at the station booking tickets. There is only one decent china train app on android and it was put there because android users were clamoring for the iphone version. Also there are dozens of good china subway apps on iphone i have yet to find a useable one on android

oh, i dont know of any apps for androids that would suit ur need. i wasnt trying to start a debate on apple vs android, was just stating that for the price of the 5c it shouldnt b considered a " budget" phone. was just bringing up that the price of the nexus is great.