What's new

Prepaid AT&T

LasterPCB

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with a prepaid AT&T sim. I got the phone from a woman who did not seem to know much about it. She told me I'd have to unlock it with a Gevey sim, but I didn't have to; it just worked with my prepaid card. A few days ago, I decided to take my chances and try to update the iOS from 4.3.5 to 5.1. I did and I'm still able to use my prepaid sim.

My question is: Could a carrier-locked iPhone be used as a prepaid and could it be updated without locking? I'm going to activate a T Mobile sim to see if I'm really locked to AT&T, but I haven't got around to it yet. The seller told me I'd be able to use T Mobile, but I don't think ahe knew for sure.

Thanks.

Since it's an AT&T iPhone, there's no reason you'd need to unlock it to use an AT&T prepaid sim. If you want to use it with any other carrier, you'll need the Gevey. Since it's a regular AT&T iPhone, updating won't lock it. Even if it was factory unlocked, updating it wouldn't lock it.

There's some confusion over whether it's factory unlocked or not. I didn't care, but it was supposed to be. When I got the phone, the lady included a note explaining that I'd need to use the Gevey she included to unlock it. She gave me specific instructions for how to use either AT&T or T Mobile and both sets of instructions required the Gevey to make either sim work.

I was not aware that a prepaid sim could be used in a locked phone.

Last edited:
There's some confusion over whether it's factory unlocked or not. I didn't care, but it was supposed to be. When I got the phone, the lady included a note explaining that I'd need to use the Gevey she included to unlock it. She gave me specific instructions for how to use either AT&T or T Mobile and both sets of instructions required the Gevey to make either sim work.

I was not aware that a prepaid sim could be used in a locked phone.

If you have to use the Gevey to use other carriers then it's not factory unlocked. Factory unlocked would mean that it was unlocked at the factory and would be ready to use with any carrier right out of the box.

If you have to use the Gevey to use other carriers then it's not factory unlocked. Factory unlocked would mean that it was unlocked at the factory and would be ready to use with any carrier right out of the box.

I haven't had a chance to try a TMo sim. I spent a long time looking for someone who has a TMo microsim, but I couldn't find anyone who didn't live a state or two away. I'm just gonna get a prepaid TMo phone and chop down the sim. We'll see what happens. Whatever the case may be, this is the coolest prepaid phone I've ever used.

Seems that iPhone was locked to at&t carrier only. So when u're using at&t on it, there is no problem at all! But now you have upgraded to 5.1, and the baseband has been changed to a firmware which does not support unlocking as of now! Stick to at&t only now!