What's new

Possible USB port problem during backup

Griffmaster

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having problems with backing up my 6S Plus to my Windows 7 PC.

During the first 30 seconds of backup I get the message 'iTunes could not backup iPhone because the iPhone disconnected'.

Downloading/syncing photos etc to my phone does work it is just backing up which fails.

After trying many of the suggested fixes on the web I contacted Apple support who spent an hour on the phone with me interrogating the setup to no avail.

In the end they suggested a removal of all iTunes program files, 6 of them and to reinstall a fresh copy of iTunes and a factory reset of the phone.

This still did not cure the problem.

Now the interesting thing is, my phone will backup fine to my wife's PC running Windows 7, she also backs up her 6 to it problem free so I am thinking along the lines of the USB port on my PC.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

A forum search does not seem to highlight many direct port problems.

No idea what exactly you've tried, except for removing iTunes and installing it again, so here are a few suggestions. Maybe there's one that you haven't tried so far.

Change the port you've used for connecting your iPhone.

On your iPhone:
Reset your iPhone. To do so, press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. As soon as you see the logo, let go of both. Your iPhone will power up on it's own. This kind of reset won't change settings or remove data. It might help with the problem you're facing.

Turn off Background App Refresh, in Settings - General. Also, put your device into Airplane Mode.

Reset Network Settings in Settings - General - Reset. You'll have to set up your connections again afterwards.

On your computer:
Try removing an existing backup, then try backing up again.

Remove the lockdown folder: Reset the Lockdown folder in iTunes - Apple Support

Also, if you've been using a USB hub to connect to your computer, disconnect the USB hub and connect the iPhone USB charging cord directly to the computer.

Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer? If not, update iTunes and try again.

Also, if you've been using a USB hub to connect to your computer, disconnect the USB hub and connect the iPhone USB charging cord directly to the computer.

Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer? If not, update iTunes and try again.

Thanks scifan57, no hub in use, plugging directly into USB ports on PC fronts, mine and my wife's.

Latest version of iTunes loaded from Apple site yesterday after uninstalling all iTune related programs, think that there were 6 programs in all.

Thanks scifan57, no hub in use, plugging directly into USB ports on PC fronts, mine and my wife's.

Latest version of iTunes loaded from Apple site yesterday after uninstalling all iTune related programs, think that there were 6 programs in all.
Have you tried all the USB ports on your computer, just in case the ports you've tried aren't working properly?

Have the two ports at front scifan57 which both give same result but will allow a Sync to work??

One further port at rear which I have not tried, will give that a go shortly and report back.

Thanks.

Could it be your iPhone cable? You could swap with your wife's and try.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Well guys a result at last!

Out of interest, plugged my wife's phone into the front of my PC and it backed up fine.....strange.

Just to recap...

My phone backs up OK to my wife's PC.
My wife's phone backs up OK to my PC using the same port as which fails mine on the front of my PC.
My phone will not back up using the same front USB port as my wife on my PC.

Tried all but above suggestions bar one to no avail, the one which has worked is to plug my phone directly into one of the rear USB ports which come straight from the expansion card with immediate success !!!

I have two USB ports at the front and six at the rear.

Strange though that her iP6 will backup to a USB port at the front that my 6S+ will not, must be a quirk of my phone.

Anyway, thank you all for your help, appreciate your time.

Mac.

Glad you sorted it, you just need to buy a new computer now

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

I'm glad you were finally able to get your iPhone to back up. Thanks for letting us know.

One thing that I can tell you for sure is that it's not unusual for front ports on a PC to not be able to supply as much current as the rear. Often they're fine for something like a flash drive, but not for powering an external hard drive that doesn't have its own separate power adapter, for example. I suspect that you're asking more of the front port than it's able to give. Maybe the 6s draws a little more current than your wife's 6? Maybe your phone needed charging and was drawing more current than your wife's? Let's just say that I'm not surprised that you have problems with it in the front port while not at the rear. One thing that you can do is to purchase a certified USB to lightning cable that you can leave plugged into the rear port and connect to your phone when needed (for convenience).

Nice DaveM l think l suggested that but not so wicked as you did, 'cause l got thrown out of school at 15 :)

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Nice DaveM l think l suggested that but not so wicked as you did, 'cause l got thrown out of school at 15 :)

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Haha...I did too, but I kept coming back and they finally gave up [emoji1]. I see now that you did mention that. I tend to read fast sometimes.

Haha...I did too, but I kept coming back and they finally gave up [emoji1]. I see now that you did mention that. I tend to read fast sometimes.

I do to but forget quicker :)

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.