What's new

Possible to recover lost bitWallet wallet file from iCloud?

joe glo

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend recover bitcoins that were sent to an address in his bitWallet iPhone app. He switched to a new phone and wiped his old one, and when he restored from the iCloud on his new phone the bitwallet app had a new wallet that doesn't have the bitcoins in it. Unfortunately he had not backed up the wallet file. I'm not at all familiar with anything to do with Apple and I haven't been able to find a way to regain access to the address. I had him restore from an earlier backup but that didn't work. Apparently the iCloud only saves apps and contacts, it doesn't back up all the data on the phone.

I'm just wondering whether it would be possible to search his iCloud backups for the wallet file (I don't even know what the wallet file is called in bitWallet) in hopes of finding it that way. Otherwise, would data recovery on the old phone be a way to regain the wallet file? Any recommendations on data recovery software or services to try?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, @joe glo!

iCloud also backs up app data, if it's enabled in it's Backup settings.
If he has an iTunes backup, you might also find (some of) the lost data for the app there.

Some apps also can export backup files to online storage such as Dropbox. Maybe the app you mentioned allows this as well, and if so, hopefully your friend did something like this.

As he wiped his old iPhone, the data that were stored there will be gone, and in most cases can't be recovered, afaik.