What's new

Possible iOS 4.1 Password Protection Bug Discovered

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[ame=http://vimeo.com/16179929]Bug no iOS 4.1 on Vimeo[/ame]​

Andy Greenberg in his The Firewall blog on Forbes reports tonight on a story on MacRumors from a member of the site who said that they had found a bug in iOS 4.1 that lets anyone bypass the iPhone’s password protection merely by using the “emergency call” option and typing a series of keys. The member of the site who warned about the bug had a jailbroken phone, but other people on MacRumors whose phones are not jailbroken confirmed their phones were also affected by the bug. Greeberg reports other credible sources that have also confirmed the problem, including Websense security researcher Patrick Runald via Twitter. 9to5Mac has also covered the flaw, and has even obtained a video showing a Brazilian iPhone owner unlocking his locked phone without using a password and using it to call someone on the contacts list.

This all sounds very alarming if true, and it certainly seems to be backed up by several credible sources. Hopefully Apple will be getting on the case quickly for this. Watch this space!

Source: The Firewall - Forbes

hmmm as in bypass the password you use for the sim pin? i dont have one, i dont put a pin on my phone, its too much hassle having it there.

Last edited:
I cannot do it. I have password and also locked sim pin. May be I did it wrong? Here is what I did:
1. push emergency key
2. ###
3. hold green phone key
4. let go, and push the lock button on top right of phone.

Nothing happens. After I key in my password, and key in my sim pin, it shows my contact list.

Where did I go wrong?

I cannot do it. I have password and also locked sim pin. May be I did it wrong? Here is what I did:
1. push emergency key
2. ###
3. hold green phone key
4. let go, and push the lock button on top right of phone.

Nothing happens. After I key in my password, and key in my sim pin, it shows my contact list.

Where did I go wrong?

actually not being able to do it, is a good thing in this case